Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are Judges more biased towards people who self represent?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are Judges more biased towards people who self represent?

Hello all,

I would to hear what people think about my thought, that "Family Court Judges in general seem to be more lenient with people who self represent"

Based on my own experience, I have found that my ex who is self representing himself, is able to get away with a lot more in court then my lawyer is. There is a tendency on the part of judges to think that when someone is self-representing themselves they are less likely to be familiar with the laws and procedures and hence should be cut some slack to even the playing field a bit.

After my experience in court today, I am convinced that having a lawyer represent me actually counts against me. Therefore am seriously considering self-representation at the next court appearance.

Nadia

Judges and bias

Given that judges are invariably biased in one way or another, has anyone thought about compiling a list of Judges and their bias? In our my case, I've had been informed by my lawyer (and have found by experence) that there are judges that have been more pro-mother and others that really feel empathy for the father in the case.

It pretty much is a lottery based on who you get. This shouldn't be the case, as Judges are supposed to issue endorsement based on the evidence before them and family law rules.

But in the real world of family law, the outcome of your case is primarily determined by what bias the judge brings to the court room.

We've had several judges in our matter, and have found that there were one or two that were certainly more emphatheic to the mother and one or two that were more emphathetic towards the father. The rest were frustrated with both parties for being in court in the first place and not being able to resolve the issues of disputes between themsleves outside the court room.

Nadia

Comment

No, in fact, self representing has a high failure rate probably due to peoples lack of knowledge the lawyers have. I guess your ex has a lot of knowledge when it comes to FL.

Comment

No, I don't think he has a lot of knowledge about FL. He didn't even utter a word in the court room this morning before the Judge tried to explain to him that he was not accepting my affidavit because my lawyer "walked it in."

At another point, my ex was fumbling with papers, apologizing about not having the right reference, and the Judge just said, "that's ok."

He was also given more time then my lawyer during the motion, and when we past the time limit set by the Judge, the Judge encouraged him to try and wrap up, but didn't cut him off like he did with my lawyer.

At yet another point, the Judge simply accepted what my ex was saying without any evidence supporting his statement. He just said, "and you know this to be the case, sir?" "Eh, yes sir."

My ex was also permitted to bring a cross motion of his own during my motion.
        I thought this was not permitted, but apparently it can be. In which case, why has my lawyer never informed me of this. I could have brought forward my own cross motions, for the several appearances I've been forced to attend as a Respondent.

Comment

Like you mentioned in another post, not all judges are the same.

Comment

He must be better looking than you.

Comment

so why isn't your lawyer saying anything?? Sounds to me like your ex is doing a better job himself then the lawyer you pay to represent you.

Comment

Originally posted by Nadia View Post
                Given that judges are invariably biased in one way or another
                ...as in, without exception? In that case, OK.

Comment

this may shock you but judges are human to. I do not know of anyone who can totally shut off their feelings.

Comment

Yes. it seems like certainly in this particular case, it appears I am better served by representng myself. I think it is probably is a case of me knowing my case somewhat better then my rather young lawyer. In any case, I can't afford to retain him anylonger, so for next appearance I will represent myself. I'll let you guys know how the dynamics change in the court room.

In respect to DadtoEnd about EX being better looking. Um, maybe, except that ex is with a beard half way down his front and a turban. And the Judge was male. But point taken.

Comment

To me...It's all about perception of justice being done. Maybe not right but rather being done.

There's a database over at the Canada Court watch Site.

https://canadacourtwatch.dabbledb.co...abase/xhkCyCwH

Comment

Generally...Are you allowed to wear hats in the courtroom?

Comment

No, I don't think you are allowed to wear hats inside the court room.

Comment

But they were allowed to wear their religious headgear... So I think it safe to say the presiding Judge was not bias against ones religion.

What were the issues at the hearing...

Comment

Originally posted by Nadia View Post
                              Um, maybe, except that ex is with a beard half way down his front and a turban.
                              HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!

Pic please

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X