Quick Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick Question

So I got the Form 25A: Divorce Order back signed yesterday in the mail.

Is that my formal divorce order or do I get something else at some point?

It says something about a certificate of divorce....do I have to go pick that up?

I think you have to apply for a divorce certificate. (I never bothered to get one)

Just another way for the courts to suck money I'm sure.

Comment

In my province at least, you can get a divorce certificate 30 days after the date on your divorce order. it's free, you pick it up at the courthouse. You don't really need one unless you want to get married again and you need to prove that your former marriage is over, done with, kaput, finis.

Comment

Ah ok...thank you very much.

I think I will pick one up. I may need it temporarily to change my last name on my ID etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Pursuinghappiness View Post
          Ah ok...thank you very much.

I think I will pick one up. I may need it temporarily to change my last name on my ID etc.
          I would get one, have it framed and place it on the wall beside my other accolades.

Comment

I was going to get one and hang it in the bathroom... furnace room... garage.... tool shed.

Comment

My wife had to get the certificate when we got married before they would issue the marriage license. It did cost money but it wasn't very much it was under 20 dollars.

Comment

My partners ex misplaced hers. So when it came time to renew passports for the kids she made a big deal of having to go to the courthouse to get a copy. The joke between partner and my cousin (whose wife did the same "lost" bitch) was they knew where theirs was, framed on the wall. (Its not, he wouldnt do that to his kids. But sometimes humour helps!)

Comment

Is that my formal divorce order or do I get something else at some point?
                  That is your formal divorce order. It takes effect in 31 days, after the appeal period runs out.

It says something about a certificate of divorce....do I have to go pick that up?
                  Only if you want to get re-married, at which time you must have it.

In my province at least, you can get a divorce certificate 30 days after the date on your divorce order. it's free, you pick it up at the courthouse.
                  In Ontario, you have to go pick it up. It costs $19.

Comment

You can also get it mailed but it is difficult to get anyone on phone to make the request for having it mailed.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                    Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                    Working...
                    X