Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What does endorsement mean? How long for divorce?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does endorsement mean? How long for divorce?

New user, posting for a friend.

This is a question to understand a bit of the process works in Ottawa for uncontested simple divorce. Mediation happened in spring 2020 with mediator and came up with a signed-by-all separation agreement. This was followed by an equalization payment to ex-spouse who didn't live in the house anymore. Change of title of the house and re-financing on mortgage. Fall 2020 applied for divorce with help of lawyer, but now things have stalled.

Lawyer is pretty slow at responding and it seems like nothing is moving. Finally, last week, lawyer said that she received an endorsement from the judge but it wasn't legible. And that she would submit the separation agreement to the judge because it wasn't submitted with original divorce application. Lawyer still says they don't have the endorsement. Friend just wants the divorce done. There is 1 child and child support provisions are in the separation agreement and 50/50 custody.

So I guess my question is: how long does it normally take for lawyer to receive an endorsement from the judge? Does an endorsement mean approval? Or does it mean something is wrong with the application? Thank you for all the help.

Sometimes endorsements come at the court appearance, sometimes they come after. It all depends on the matter, the appearance and the request. If the endorsement was illegible then the lawyer should have gone back to the judges office requesting clarification. If the lawyer is dragging their feet your friend needs to demand an answer and/or find a new lawyer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
    Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
    Working...
    X