Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Private Member’s Bill C-422 - Equal parenting (Mr. Velacott)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi again!

If you have a facebook account, there is a page called "Love and Iron Project" that has gotten the attention of the original MP and who is looking to bring this bill back for discussion! Sucks that it's this same MP, but it's something I guess. Thought this was some positive news in possibly the right direction I'll try to forward the link to the disussion when I can get to facebook today.

"It is vital that when educating our children's brains that we do not neglect to educate their hearts" - Dalai Lama

Comment

• Equal Shared Parenting Bill Coming to Parliament

Coming to the House of Commons in Canada in September 2013.

Comment

• Is this for real??
        I can't find anything about this on any other website which makes me skeptical.
        Anyone heard this other places ?

Comment

• Originally posted by NeverGreen View Post
          Equal Shared Parenting Bill Coming to Parliament

Coming to the House of Commons in Canada in September 2013.
          An update on Equal Shared Parenting Bill

On October 03, 2013 I've sent an email to Mr. Maurice Vellacott sayng that I read the artice about the bill and the article states that this Bill was planned to be discussed this past September. I asked if it was discussed and if it was then what is the outcome of this discussion cause I couldn't find it anywhere on the net. I also asked him what can be done ASAP if anything to change the existing situation and expressed my opinion about Family Law and Family courts in Canada.

He responded the very next day. After reading his response I emailed him back asking for his permission to post this response on this forum; I gave him a link to it.

He again responded right away saying: "Sure you can pos the response on that forum." I am doing just that.

Here we go:

"Hi Xxxxxxxx,
          We are at the mercy of ordinary schedule of the House of Commons. The bill probably won't come up for debate until Dec. or so now.

There is nothing that can be done ASAP to change the situation. It's legislative so it will take time. You and supporters should contact the Prime Minister, the Justice Minister, your own MP's as well as your provincial representatives, Premier and Justice Minister in whatever province you are in. The Divorce Act needs more comprehensive changes, and the Prime Minister and Justice Minister need to be convinced to make that a priority. And the provincial politicians need to make improvements in the administration of family law a priority as well.

Thank you for writing. We will add you to our email list to keep you up to date with any developments.

Kind regards,
          Maurice Vellacott, MP".

He also sent me contact info for Prime Minister and Justice Minister. Here it is:

Rt. Hon. Stephen Harper
          Centre Block
          House of Commons
          Ottawa, Ontario
          K1A 0A6
          Telephone: 613-992-4211
          Fax: 613-941-6900
          EMail: stephen.harper@parl.gc.ca

Hon. Peter MacKay
          Centre Block
          House of Commons
          Ottawa, Ontario
          K1A 0A6
          Telephone: 613-992-6022
          Fax: 613-992-2337
          EMail: peter.mackay@parl.gc.ca

Web Site: www.petermackay.ca/

Thought you guys would be interested to know.

Comment

• I have had the dubious pleasure of debating Mr Vellacott in a public forum (not on this bill, but on another of his pet projects). I can say from that experience that a) he is not phenomenally bright; b) he (or his staff) doesn't do his homework - he falls back on individual stories and "common knowledge" which is erroneous, and doesn't look at actual research or evidence; c) he really, really has an issue with feminists, which drives his choice of causes - he will support something just because he thinks feminists might oppose it, and vice versa. He's more concerned with scoring points against feminism (or what he thinks his version of feminism to be, which is a whole other ballgame) than about the issues themselves. Even members of his own party think he's a bit of a nut. So unless this "equal parenting" cause can find a better advocate in parliament, I don't see it getting too far.

Comment

• Originally posted by stripes View Post
              I have had the dubious pleasure of debating Mr Vellacott in a public forum (not on this bill, but on another of his pet projects). I can say from that experience that a) he is not phenomenally bright; b) he (or his staff) doesn't do his homework - he falls back on individual stories and "common knowledge" which is erroneous, and doesn't look at actual research or evidence; c) he really, really has an issue with feminists, which drives his choice of causes - he will support something just because he thinks feminists might oppose it, and vice versa. He's more concerned with scoring points against feminism (or what he thinks his version of feminism to be, which is a whole other ballgame) than about the issues themselves. Even members of his own party think he's a bit of a nut. So unless this "equal parenting" cause can find a better advocate in parliament, I don't see it getting too far.
              Interesting observation but what choice do we have? It's him or nothing so I guess I give my vote to him as I cannot vote for nothing.

We just cannot sit doing absolutely nothing about the situation in family courts and family laws. People are killing themselves over this Hell finanially, emotionally and literally, physically. If we do nothing, we will find our grandchildren discussing the same damn stuff on this same forum. I don't want it.

On the side note: I am a woman and a mother, and I am very against feminism myself, believe it or not. It's disgusting (at least what I know about it). I am also against maleism (if it exists because if it does it is disgusting) - if you know what I mean.

Comment

• Feminism: the belief that men and women should have equal rights and opportunities.

Comment

• Originally posted by Learner View Post
                  Feminism: the belief that men and women should have equal rights and opportunities.
                  It's on paper, dear, only on paper.

But the reality is ugly, very ugly. It's the same as kommunism. It's so nice and peachy on paper: everybody is equal, no discrimination, everydoby works as much as they can and get as much as they wont.

Let me tell you: there was (and still is in some countries like Cuba) nothing further away from the reality than life in a kommunist coutry.

I don't care wht they write it is. I do care about the actions. I know for very sure: there is no equality in family court in Canada. There is no presumption of innocence or very little of it and I know it first hands.

So yes, I am against feminism and against maleism and whatever else crooked -ism is out there. Sorry.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mother View Post
                    It's on paper, dear, only on paper.
                    Don't think so. Can you vote? Did you go to school? Did you earn the money to buy the computer you're using now? Have you ever used birth control? Do you have high expectations for both your daughters and your sons? If so, you can thank feminists, and their conviction that neither men nor women should be disadvantaged or oppressed because of their gender. Feminists have taken on the fights that nobody else wanted, because they were unpopular or went against the common wisdom of the time, and both men and women have benefited.

My daughter is growing up in a world where she as a girl can expect the same respect and opportunities as her male peers, which was not the case for me and much less so the case for my own mother. Feminism has nothing to do with putting men down and everything to do with creating a world where men and women are treated first and foremost as people, and not just reduced to a superior or inferior sex.

I find a lot of people distance themselves from the "feminist" label, even though they agree with what feminists have achieved, because they think a feminist is an angry, man-hating woman. In my experience, the angriest women and the ones who hate men the most are *not* feminists - feminists know that things can change and that systems, not male individuals, are the problem. Feminism is about the hope for a better world.

Comment

• Originally posted by oink View Post
                      BOLD 1 : No Now...down girl, I won't go that far, after all beuty is in the eye of the beholder

BOLD 2: There is asuch a place, it's called UTOPIA

BOLD 3: Why do you think that is, bias by female judges or the lack of moving with the modern times?

BOLD 4: That is good to know, so you are like an equal opportunity employers then, that is just out to make profit, and doesn't care if it was a donkey doing the work? One last thing...are you against Hedonism too?
                      Can't wait to see you and to prove to you that I am a grandma, riding a rocking chair. ololo... (btw how about the bunch-meeting?)

Anyway.

Bold 2: Checked my GPS, there is no such thing there. Do I need to update the device?

Bold 3: Why? I think I know why, it's just too long of a story. Hystorilaccy women used to be physically abused ans some are still are as one reason. Another one, men as a rule didn't bother doing thesae "kids things" as another one. Don't really have time to go deeper at the moment. And let me tell you: not just biased by frmails judges, but by almost all of the judges (leaving alone CAS, OCL etc).

Bold 4: If something works, don't fix it. If there is a wonderful, beautiful person is sitting his/her behind looking pretty at work and that's about it then yes, I chose a donley, a monkey and all of the rest of the zoo. We all are animals anyway, man.

Oh and Hedonism: too old for this stuff. My pleasures are to see people I love, not very platonis I suppose but what the heck.
                      Last edited by Mother; 10-17-2013, 11:17 AM.

Comment

• On the side note: I am a woman and a mother, and I am very against feminism myself, believe it or not. It's disgusting (at least what I know about it).
                        Begs the question...what do you know about it? I'd be very interested in learning about the "disgusting" parts of what feminism is. Please enlighten me.

I find a lot of people distance themselves from the "feminist" label, even though they agree with what feminists have achieved, because they think a feminist is an angry, man-hating woman.
                        Excellent post Stripes.

I would proudly describe myself as a feminist.

Despite that fact, I like to cook, clean, knit...enjoyed being pregnant, etc. Although my new partner would be happy to help me, I don't even let him into the kitchen and I clean both our houses. I also have worked my entire life and everything I have, I own. Defining myself as feminist simply means that I can be what I choose. It means being free of having a pre-conceived role forced upon me or my children.

I think being a feminist is far less important than being a humanist but its certainly not a label I'd shy away from. I wear it proudly.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mother View Post
                          Bold 2: Checked my GPS, there is no such thing there. Do I need to update the device?

Welcome to Utopia, Ontario

Its actually not far from where I live lol

Comment

• Wait, what, huh?

Please keep this thread on track. I have stickied it and kept it active because it is an important political issue.

If you want to discuss feminism then try to keep it at least maginally related to Mr. Velacott's bill.

As a side note, this is a private member's bill and as such it is not Conservative Party policy. If you are voting to support Velacott, hopefully you are in his riding. Otherwise you are not really having an effect.

Of course, contact your local MP and request that this become official party policy.

Comment

• Feminism is there to fight for special treatment and opportunities for women, and only for women. The entire premise is that women are at a disadvantage over men and need more advantages... they are 100% against anything that would give power or advantage to men because as a general rule they believe men already have all of the power and advantages.

In moderation it was probably a good thing, but taken too far it has led to widespread misandry and injustice.

No one can even agree what "equality" means. Is equality of opportunity the same as equality of outcomes? Simple example:

-500 men and 500 women are admitted to a fire fighter training program. There is equality of opportunity.

-400 men and 100 women pass the demanding physical testing required to complete the training program.

So feminists have argued that this is sexist. So instead, women pass a seperate test which is only half as demanding as the one that men pass. With the new test, now 400 women pass. Equality of outcome, feminists (might) be happy. They will say female fire fighters are at least as good or better than male ones.

...Now you're unconscious in a burning building and fire fighters are coming to rescue you. Which one would you rather have there to save you? What if only women were working that shift?

Not really equality of outcome, because now you've died in a house fire.

Comment

• Another very relevant point about gender equality and opportunity. My ex studied in university, she applied for and was admitted to an exclusive program with very limited enrollment. Out of the 12000 applicants, only 2000 are accepted.

She completes the program and goes to work in her field. For less than one year... at which point she decides she wants a baby, she goes on maternity leave. She decides to stay at home, she never returns to work in her field and opens a home daycare a few years later.

This is going to be a sore point, but because of the "equal opportunity" she caused at least one other person to not be admitted to her program, to not graduate, to not be able to work in the field that she abandoned less than a year after graduating. Due to equality of opportunity now there are TWO fewer people using those credentials to benefit society.

So is equality always the best policy?

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                                Working...
                                X