CS and SS negotiating strategy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update here:
    We sat tonight with a 3rd party, reviewed equalization and agreed that it was generous but intend to respect agreement. Discussed background of CS and her undeclared income. Clarified that she earned equivalent to gross 20k annual value of undeclared working 3 days per week and that min wage is $30k. Settled on $25k to use as income for SA. Went to table, came up with $1700 per month. I explained that is not taxed as I’d already have paid the tax. Her friend (3rd party) was shocked it would be so much but it is what it is. She agreed then said, “ok now how about my alimony?” I explained there was nothing left to give and we decided to call it a night and plan another discussion.
    I think to offer a lump sum that I can tack onto remortgage. Tayken’s suggestion of mid-range for 42 months is $42000. That (after tax deduction will definitely be my high-high end). Thoughts?

Comment

I really appreciate the great feedback I’ve been getting here. I hope to offer the same once I’ve developed my knowledge base. I wish I’d never had to be on this site but that’s another discussion altogether.

Anyhow, I’ve been reading SSAG Spousal Support Advisory Guidelines published by Justice of Canada
      http://www.justice.gc.ca/eng/rp-pr/f...f/SSAG_eng.pdf

And I see Spousal Support with Child Support guideline says to top out the total recipient at 40-46% net income of payor’s net income after child support is already factored in.

In my case the math says that she’s at 43% of my net income. Anybody use this as defence against providing SS? Success level? I intend to use it to exhibit that she’s already sufficiently supported but I figure I will add a small lump sum to equalization to account for valid concerns of “financial quality of life” dip.
      As though we don’t all feel a financial quality of life hit eh? Whatever, it’s only money. She seems more interested in it than me, so she may as well have it.

Comment

Originally posted by Futureisbright View Post
        I figure I will add a small lump sum to equalization to account for valid concerns of “financial quality of life” dip.

Don't call it equalization. Call it "lump sum spousal support" and make sure you get a good SS release that includes illness, disability, job loss, hurricanes, and anything else you can think of. Also make sure that she gets a lawyer to sign off on it.

Equalization is the worst time to be generous, that cannot be revisited down the road.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X