X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tis the season - summer vacation

Hi there,

Quick question (I hope): how long after providing notice to the other parent of a planned family vacation should I follow up for the requested paperwork? At what point do I file a motion with the courts to have the travel letter and passport application signed? Vacation is planned for June.

Background:
    I have sole custody, but still need travel letters and passport applications signed by the NCP. He's made an issue the last few times this has come up - first time end up with a court order ordering the letter and passport application to be signed (and costs$$$), the second on a visit to his lawyer to try and stop the travel (where I assume he was told he couldn't/wouldn't be able to stop a simple 2 week family vacation) he signed the letter. He tends to be very passive aggressive and fails to acknowledge the emails that let him know of the plans.

Do you not have it in your agreement that all documents must be provided within XX amount of time prior to the planned trip?

Comment

nope - just the standard "not to be withheld unreasonably". He seems to often think that his will (not matter how unreasonable to the average person) is "reason" enough to be difficult.

Comment

Do you both supply detailed itineraries including contact numbers to eachother? Additionally, if going outside the country, does the parent taking the child(ren) supply the other parent with proof of travel insurance, a copy of the parent's updated passport before a "Travel Letter" is handed over? (I don't like to call them "Permission Letters").
        My ex is also difficult about signing passport applications, but the passport office says he has to sign. He has one more passport application to sign for our eldest and two passport applications for the youngest. Though refusing to sign a passport application isn't really a court action -- "just" have to explain to the passport office what you've done to try and get the other parent's signature (with all your proof), and they'll probably (cautiously) let the applications be processed. That's been my experience anyway.

Comment

Simply get all the necessary documentations together, fill it out so the only thing he needs to do is SIGN. Then tax some little sticky notes and paste them next to where his signature is needed.

Send it via registered letter, signature require and include a return envelope. Give him 10 days to return it after it's signed for. Then if he still hasn't signed, you file with the courts.

Comment

My God, this is a ridiculous situation. My heart goes out to you. Maybe contact Passport Canada Office and ask for advice? Why would he try to sabotage opportunities for his children to travel and have some great experiences??
            I believe that it is reasonable to expect an acknowledgement of your e-mails within a week.
            Keep everything above board and keep on communicating your travel plans to him -- your itinerary, your emergency contact numbers, etc . Good Luck!

Comment

Originally posted by NBDad View Post
              Simply get all the necessary documentations together, fill it out so the only thing he needs to do is SIGN. Then tax some little sticky notes and paste them next to where his signature is needed.

Send it via registered letter, signature require and include a return envelope. Give him 10 days to return it after it's signed for. Then if he still hasn't signed, you file with the courts.
              To cover your A** if it comes to court, also indicate that you will be taking legal steps to obtain the signatures/consent if not received in 10 days, and ask him to let you know if he is unable to provide within 10 days and needs more time (e.g. he's launching this evening on a space mission for the next 15 days).

Comment

thanks everyone! great advice - I'm going to go the registered letter route with the 10 day turn around. Hopefully it will be done with that!

Thanks again!

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                Working...
                X