Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking to postpone trial

Hi community....

I am self rep. My matter is supposed to be heard in the May trail sittings in Newmarket. I need more time. and was hoping to have it heard in the fall trial sittings.

What do I do to push it back? I was thinking of serving and filing a 14b (procedural motion) to have the date pushed back. Is this how I should proceed ?

Thanks in advance.

DINOH

If there is counsel on the other side and they are prepared then, you are not going to probably see a rescheduling of your matter.

The only way you could postpone is to retain counsel and have the new counsel request the time to get up to speed on the file. Suffice to say... You are going to trial probably like it or not.

Comment

Thank you Taken. So my best hope is for other party not be ready for trial?

Comment

Originally posted by Tayken View Post
        If there is counsel on the other side and they are prepared then, you are not going to probably see a rescheduling of your matter.

The only way you could postpone is to retain counsel and have the new counsel request the time to get up to speed on the file. Suffice to say... You are going to trial probably like it or not.
        So I have become just recently self rep. Can I not make the same request for time to get up to speed on the file ?

Comment

You could “hire” a lawyer at the last minute, request an adjournment to the fall sittings then fire your new lawyer just after the May sitting has passed. This will likely work but you may find yourself on the hook for costs for delaying the process.

Comment

Originally posted by DadInNeedOfHelp View Post
            So I have become just recently self rep. Can I not make the same request for time to get up to speed on the file ?
            its your case so you should be up to speed with the file. A new lawyer has never seen the file.

Comment

You could “hire” a lawyer at the last minute, request an adjournment to the fall sittings then fire your new lawyer just after the May sitting has passed. This will likely work but you may find yourself on the hook for costs for delaying the process.
              This will result in cost consequences at the end. Writing to agree with Stillbreathing.

Comment

What if the other side is bluffing trial?
                They don't prepare anything because they figure the OP will have to spend money on a lawyer then they offer a settlement just before trial.

What is the best way for a regular guy to prepare for a trial; learn how to question witnesses and the basic rules of evidence and all that good stuff?

Are people likely to get rolled over if they self-rep in family court?

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                Working...
                X