Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law

Divorce & Family Law This forum is for discussing any of the legal issues involved in your divorce.

Old 12-28-2019, 02:22 PM

ninehundredt is on a distinguished road

I tend to agree with most of the sentiment in this thread, having dealt with the family courts for the past six years. There are some decent and relatively ethical lawyers out there, but it's difficult and can be costly to work your way through to the right one.

I've found in almost every instance, I've had to micromanage them to some degree. Get written estimates, and hold them to it when they come back with an invoice for double what was quoted.

Lawyer hourly rates are also grossly out of touch with similar fields (engineering / sciences). In my area an engineer would run you anywhere between $100 to $200 per hour, whereas any lawyer with a few years of experience is asking over $300 per hour. Pretty ridiculous considering the disparity in complexity of the work being done, as well as the potential for not delivering any meaningful result from their service.
Old 12-31-2019, 12:19 PM

Gilligan is on a distinguished road

Couldn't agree more, the who system promotes conflict and need a serious overhaul. The problem is that it's often the lawyers / judges who have a financial interest in this racket who are supposed to modernize it.

It's also un-popular and nobody wants to actually look beneath the covers, but it's a terrible system which is supposed to be focused on the child, but it's so easily manipulated and the financial motives so great that it's a sure recipe for high conflict.