X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Communication with Sports Associations

Hi everyone,

New to this forum and have a question.

We are in a 50/50 shared custody arrangement.

Dad usually signs kids up for sports and fees are divided equally.

It is typical that dad doesn’t add my email address to receive communications from their sports associations. As per CO, it is my responsibility to seek that information and get added to distribution lists. Which I am fine with and quite capable.

Recently my daughter was registered for her sport and I emailed the registrar to add me to communications. Their response was to go to my ex and request permission to add me.

Why would I need permission from my ex?

Is there legislation or laws that give me access to my child’s records?

The request was initiated by me, so I would have felt comfortable with them asking for proof of the CO, but I feel that my request was a private and they shouldn’t have engaged my ex in my request.

I would like to make a formal complaint to the associations ombudsman, more on principle but I don’t know if I have a leg to stand on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would start by responding that they are obligated under the access to information act and your court order to provide you with the info and if there is an issue to please let you know why they are unable to provide it. If they still refuse, go to the president of the association advising you have a court order allowing you to request this and expect them to comply with the requirements in the access to information act. If you still have a problem then I would escalate it to the organization body head.

Some groups pull these stunts. My partner went through that with an activity his kid was in and they went to his ex for permission because they had been instructed to not tell him anything. It was stupid and his ex used it in a court document to make it look like he was a controlling jerk.

Comment

90% of children's sports organizations are volunteer based.
      100% of children's sports organizations are not aware of the obligations to provide both parents information.

Simply inform them of the requirement, provide the court order and kindly ask them to do it. Furthermore, once a child is placed on a team or with an instructor you simply just need to contact them.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
      Working...
      X