This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qualities to look for when seeking Representation

For those of you who have been through the system, whether with just one lawyer or more than one:

Question 1: What qualities do you look for in a Lawyer?

Question 2: What do you believe your Lawyer's "JOB" is, in terms of representing you? In other words, what are your expectations? If you have learned (through the course of a lengthy litigation) things that you were not initially in tune with (re: your 'expectations') please share those realizations.

I think a thread like this woud be helpful for people who are looking for real life experiences in terms of finding "the right lawyer."

I've met/consulted with several over the past few years. There were a few that clearly were not a good fit for me/my matters.

Thanks for the feedback.

Originally posted by hadenough View Post

Question 1: What qualities do you look for in a Lawyer?

Question 2: What do you believe your Lawyer's "JOB" is, in terms of representing you? In other words, what are your expectations? If you have learned (through the course of a lengthy litigation) things that you were not initially in tune with (re: your 'expectations') please share those realizations.
    I recommend reading Michael Cochrane's book "Surviving Your Divorce" Surviving Your Divorce: A Guide to Canadian Family Law: Amazon.ca: Michael G. Cochrane: Books#_

Chapter 2 specifically deals with how to hire (and fire) a lawyer, manage expectations etc.

Comment

I believe when looking to hire a professional there are certain qualities that are important. For me, I wanted to be represented by an intelligent, well informed, well respected lawyer who would direct and guide me to close this chapter in a fair and professional manner.
      I didn't need to be right, I needed to be directed and advised what was in my best interest. And he did!!!!

Comment

I am particularly pleased that my lawyer is young, energetic and current on case law. He is respectful to my ex, opposing counsel and conducts himself professionally at all times in my presence. It has been a positive experience for me considering this has been the hardest time of my life.

My lawyer also has good client management skills. I'm not the easiest person to work with and he certainly has proven himself to be tactful and respectful, even when he has to rein me in.

Comment

The following is information from one of my previous posts. I've used it for interviewing several lawyers. My lawyer and I communicate very well, and I find that this quality is very important in the client/lawyer relationship. We do not agree on everything, but it's great to be able to voice my concerns and get his legal feedback. He's also a chartered accountant and I find this a plus.

What type of approach do you like to take?
          Have you ever handled cases like mine before?
          How long have you been practicing in family law?
          What is your % of divorce cases? (If lawyer doesn't work solely in family law).
          Will you be handling my whole case? If not, who else and at what rate(s)?
          Do you have time to take on a new case?
          Will I receive promptly all copies of paper work..letters, faxes, legal papers re: my case?
          What do your clients say is best about you?
          What is your preferred method of communication?
          What is your opinion regarding assertive lawyers? Aggressive lawyers?
          How important do you believe sharing of information is to your clients?
          Are you comfortable working in situations that may be contentious?
          Do you return phone calls the same day?
          What is your hourly rate?
          Is a retainer agreement provided?
          What is the retainer amount? Are you open to negotiation of this amount?
          Do you know my spouse?
          Do you know his/her lawyer?
          Do you see any conflict of interest?
          What % of your cases go to trial?
          Do you see any unique or complex legal issues in my case?
          What do you think is the biggest challenge of my case? (the lawyer may not be able to completely answer this one at this time).
          Based on what you do know about my case, how long do you think it will be to resolve it?
          Assuming things run smoothly, what will the total divorce cost me? (The lawyer will only be able to give a ball park figure).
          Is there anything I haven't asked that you want to tell me?

Comment

Thank you for all the above great responses. I have to admit that "going in" I did not really know what I was looking for, besides a quick resolution. I clearly underestimated my case. By a landslide.

For a time, I commenced my application without representation. For me, that was a big mistake and likely tacked on about 6 months or more to the time it took to get through to (eventual) trial.

I have come a long way since then. I now know exactly what to look for. Personally, (like Arabian) I prefer a young lawyer. I also have a preference for a male lawyer although I never did retain a female so I can't say I have personal experience with one. I did however consult with a few.

I want my lawyer to be professional, organized and courteous to all parties when entering (and exiting) the court room. I like the ones that look you straight in the eye and ask (while meeting w/them initially) "is there anything you're not telling me, that I should know?" I also prefer that they practice exclusively in the area of Law, that I require.

I also don't "need to be right." What I "need" is to be told how my case and my interests are/will be best represented/protected: a game-plan. Often there were things/details that I "thought" were important, that were not (in the grand scheme of things). I too, have needed some reigning in.

I have had 1 catastrophic experience with a lawyer. He was an older man with many years in his area of law, under his belt. What he really turned out to be was complacent, condascending and quite dishonest. So much for "years of experience." In essence he should have retired before I had the misfortune of meeting him. There's that 20/20 hindsight again.

It has all been very interesting. Quite the expensive learning experience. I will add more to this soon.
            Last edited by hadenough; 12-13-2012, 10:10 AM.

Comment

Just wanted to share a "good" Lawyer experience. In recent months, on a matter that I had mostly rep'd myself on, I retained the services of a top law firm. I had a young lawyer who was very sharp, professional and somewhat affordable (all things considered).

The matter didn't wrap up quite as I'd hoped or planned but it was through no fault of this Lawyer.

I am in receipt of the bill (yes, I was dreading it like most bills) and was very touched by the fact that this lawyer did not bill me for over half of his billable hours, reducing the amount owing drastically. (This reduction was outlined in a very nice email between us). Not only that, but I am being given the option to pay the amount I do owe, over time.

I am very impressed. Chivalry is not dead. It's really nice to know that some professionals, even Lawyers that have reputations for charging huge fees, will exhibit and practice such decency and empathy.

He was not in any way obliged to extend such a nicety. I really wasn't expecting this (reduction) at all. Life can be full of surprises...

Comment

That is awesome.

I am very pleased with my lawyer, but it would be nice if my bill was reduced.

Comment

Originally posted by nogoingback View Post
                  I recommend reading Michael Cochrane's book "Surviving Your Divorce" Surviving Your Divorce: A Guide to Canadian Family Law: Amazon.ca: Michael G. Cochrane: Books#_

Chapter 2 specifically deals with how to hire (and fire) a lawyer, manage expectations etc.
                  I cannot give enough support to this suggestion. ++++++

Comment

You want a lawyer who does not just talk, but knows how to listen.

You need them to listen to you, but also know when to shush you.

They need to follow your lead, and recognize that you know your situation/ex-spouse/children/finances/needs far better than anyone else ever could.

The need to straighten you out when you are wrong.

The need to treat you like an expert, because you are, an expert in your particular case.

They need to insist on their own expertise when you are delving in areas of law.

They need to see the difference.

The need to accept the things that you prioritize and won't back down from. They need work their butts off to arrange a compromise on things you will back down from.

They need to understand the differnce between Aggressive Negotiation, Co-operative Negotiation, and Compromise Negotiation, and know when each is appropriate.

They need to be able to see what your negotiation strengths are, and let you take control when you are able; this is your your life, and you need to be able to make the decisions when you are capable.

They need to be able to shut you down when you are not capable.

If they can do all of the above, it doesn't matter how much they charge.

Comment

look into 'collabrative' family law.

find one of them.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                      Working...
                      X