• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is a trick question!

Which has more weight?

Your RIGHT to do something?

Or, your OBLIGATION to do something?

Given the impossible circumstance where you could only fulfill your RIGHT in exclusion of your OBLIGATION, and vice-versa... Which is more important to protect?
    Rights trump Obligtions.
    0%
    Obligations trump Rights.
    0%

Rights go hand in hand with responsibilities, and the one can be taken away if you don't meet the other. Hopefully they coexist in balance, however. I'd need to hear some examples of your impossible circumstance to understand what you mean before making a decision.

Comment

well the obvious example given the website we are on would be your RIGHT as a parent for custody versus your OBLIGATION to do whats best for the kid and give away custody because it is best for the kid.

Comment

Which goes hand in hand with what we were just talking about...
        Is your RIGHT to spend time with the child, over turned by your OBLIGATION to support them to the max? Or does the RIGHT to spend time with your child beat your OBLIGATION to support them to the max... which in turn often means giving up custody to support them to the max...

Personally, I feel the right to have a parent in their life, is much more important than the financial aspect of it... growing up my mother was a stay at home mom, my father worked his butt off, he started at the low end of his union, he worked the crap jobs and for 5 years he worked in Toledo and if we were lucky we saw him on the weekends, there were times we went weeks without seeing him, however he worked hard to support our family and he did it well, but there are times I feel cheated out of my childhood because he was not around, I missed him dearly, when I was about 10, Dad finally landed a job very close to home and for years things seemed right in the world.

A few years ago my Dad was transferred to Hamilton for a year (4 hours from where we lived)... being older, I was able to accept that fact (lets face it, I was a young teenager with better things to do than hang with my parents), but my little brother who was 7 at the time had a very hard time with him not being home. I remember the sobbing each and every Sunday night when Dad had to leave and I remembered those feelings I had.

I could not imagine being a child of divorce and being caught in the middle of a dispute. I couldn't imagine the norm being only seeing one parent every other weekend, or some times less. For those who have never been in that position it may be hard to understand.

Comment

just got back from a movie and I thought you were asking about my weight....

to your question - I believe the way you were raised and your basic moral beliefs would determine the way a person answers the question

Comment

IMHO, it is our obligation to our children's overall well being that is their right, which triumphs ours.

Comment

I think that rights trump obligation because rights create obligations.

My children have rights so that creates obligations for me and ex. He and I have rights and that creates separate obligations to each other. And so on....

So to me, rights come first.

Comment

One main issue though is that if you do not meet your obligations, you stand a chance of losing your rights.

Also, just noted my typo above... Love autocorrect when it changes words lol
                Triumph was meant to be trump.

Comment

Originally posted by arabian View Post
                  just got back from a movie and I thought you were asking about my weight....

So.... How much do you weigh? :P

Comment

like your avatar - reminds me of many years gone by with me on the couch sleeping after finishing my evening shift at 7 in the morning,,,,, (that first year or two I commonly did double shifts to get our family started)and the cat used to come right on up and curl up on my tummy or just like this with his nose inches from mine! Our family Joke was who was making more noise snoring??

Happy times. And for Fluffy? Nothing better than a nice warm tummy going up and down, up and dow........!!
                    Last edited by ddol1; 01-05-2013, 08:34 PM.

Comment

ddol, thanks for the laughs...disco days and kitties on your tummy. Cute.

Comment

Originally posted by ddol1 View Post
                        like your avatar - reminds me of many years gone by with me on the couch sleeping after finishing my evening shift at 7 in the morning,,,,, (that first year or two I commonly did double shifts to get our family started)and the cat used to come right on up and curl up on my tummy or just like this with his nose inches from mine! Our family Joke was who was making more noise snoring??

Happy times. And for Fluffy? Nothing better than a nice warm tummy going up and down, up and dow........!!

lol thank you.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                        Working...
                        X