Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law

Divorce & Family Law This forum is for discussing any of the legal issues involved in your divorce.

Old 11-15-2014, 07:10 PM

arabian will become famous soon enough

I think you offer is generous. Without knowing details.
Old 11-15-2014, 07:12 PM

bjm44 is on a distinguished road

nope, that is mine and does not make any money, actually owe 7k in taxes an amount which can be directly traced to be paid on her debt. I am a reasonable guy and I am not sure what my rights are and I do not think my lawyer does either as I have had to inform him many times. I have read the rules of court, the alberta law of property act and hundreds of cases like this and have no idea how she even has a lawyer who is willing to take her case.
Old 11-15-2014, 07:14 PM

I do I is the matrimonial property act in Alberta is different from Ontario. How that relates to common law I do not know. You would be best to retain an attorney in albertA perhaps.
Old 11-15-2014, 07:16 PM

what other things do i need to consider. I paid for all the groceries, entertainment, vacations etc during out entire time together. I have 40k in credit card statement to prove this. I am just frustrated how this can still proceed and now her lawyer wants to question me. I have provided them with every detail while she has provided me with nothing. Am i not entitled to know what her arguments are or does she even need to have one?
Old 11-15-2014, 07:18 PM

in matrimonial law, would she be entitled to any of the money i paid on the principal after separation? I have an alberta lawyer but he seems to be somewhat lacking. He thinks i should just settle and give her what she wants. he feels that I should give her what she is asking for while i feel i would rather spend the 25k then give it to her just because.
Old 11-15-2014, 07:21 PM

You can pm me for name of a good lawyer in Edmonton. Chances are the other side is ry positioning. If you have good documentation of everything that will help you.

Last edited by arabian; 11-15-2014 at 07:24 PM.
Old 11-15-2014, 07:28 PM

what about the questioning?? Can the litigation move forward without it. losing 3 days work right now will cost me alot which is something I cannot afford to lose considering the debt I have incurred as a result of her holding my money. Can I plead undue hardship?
Old 11-15-2014, 07:35 PM

In my opinion it should but then I am not a lawyer. Of course the other side is trying to psych you out in hopes you cave. Intidation does work for many people. You just need some decent advice. Btw this is 2014 and there is such a thing as video conferencing. I don't think it will get to that right away. You old gf will need to put u a big retainer before a lawyer would go that route. Sorry for typos. I'm on a cell phone right now
Old 11-15-2014, 07:49 PM

All I want is to get this in front of a judge. IMO, a trial is not warranted as I do not know any of her issues. I have stated all the facts to them, given them all the numbers and I just want someone who knows the law to make a decision on them. The issues would be
1)Is she entitled to 50% of the down payment which I borrowed and still owe and have paid over 6500 in interest on over the years.
2)is she entitled to 50% of the principle amount I reduced the mortgage.
3)Am i entitled to recoup 50% of all costs while the home was vacant
4)DO i get credit for the previous equity payments made under original separation agreement.
4A) Would an oral agreement be enforceable?
These 4 issues are what separates her number with mine.

Arabian, can you pm the lawyer info. Thanks.