This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• unjust enrichment?

My ex and I purchased a home together and lived in it for 3 years. We had a common law agreement. It states that if we break up, he keeps the house after he pays me my half of the equity. It also states that we would both pay half of the bills,However he told me to pay less than half of the bills until some of my other debts were paid off. Now that we are seperated he claims unjust enrichment because I did not "hold up" to my end of the agreement by paying half of the bills.

nellys

welcome to the forum

I would have to say if you agreed to terms before you began co-habitation then those terms should prevail.

However, you never mentioned anything in regards to spousal support in your agreement. If there is nothing in your agreement and if you lived together continuous for over three years or live together in a relationship of some permanence and have a child together, you may be entitled to spousal support.

If you have the 3 years of living together continuous, then the big factor for spousal would be that one party has means and the other has need.

If this is the case perhaps you could use this as leverage in your share of equity.

lv

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
    Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
    Working...
    X