Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there an easier way to navigate Canlii?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there an easier way to navigate Canlii?

I have been on the Canlii site several times and find it very cumbersome to locate relevant cases. Is there any way to fine tune a search to only bring up the cases that deal with specific problems? I.e divorce cases involving abuse of children, court assessors, fraudulent behaviour on the part of a spouse , hiding assets, bad faith behaviour, etc?

Canlii is pretty damn good... A good way to proceed is to do a search with keywords you might be interested in and then you can look for other cases that CITE that one.

Also read up on the operators (i use quotations a lot)

Also there are subset of cases that often refer to a specific landmark court case so you can use the "cite trick" for that too.

Canlii gives pro se litigants a shot

Comment

Thanks. I am going to be representing myself as I have spent my entire life savings in excess of $200,000 on legal fees to protect the safety of my children and now it's come down to a choice between providing the necessities of life to them or paying more legal fees and using the food bank to feed everyone.

For my $200,000 I did get a strict supervised access order for my
      Ex and a thus far useless child support order which is not being honoured.

What other resources are out there for us poor schleps who are abandoned bloody and bruised on the family court battlefield and expected to fend for ourselves?

Comment

Why on earth are your legal fees so high? Were costs never awarded to you or were you always deemed to be unsuccessful?

Do you use the services of FRO for enforcement of your child support order?

Comment

Costs were not awarded to either one of us. My ex is a run away train and has been filing motion after motion after motion. Costs are actually a big joke to me now because if they were ever awarded against me I have no money to pay them with. My ex just received a 6 figure settlement this week and his family lawyer is salivating no doubt . If I am ever awarded costs , he won't pay.

My ex has been trying to financially ruin me and the children. He has succeeded with the blessing of the court ( no consequences). I'd love to ask the judge for their explanation as to how allowing him to destroy me ( custodial and non brain injured parent) is in the best interests of the children?

He has told FRO he went to court behind my back and without either of our lawyers present and got a new court order which states he does not have to pay any support. He did not produce the order of course. They don't believe him and have asked him for a voluntary repayment of arrears schedule ... Not happening.

I am so frustrated with this entire nonsense. It never ends and my children have already suffered enough without family court making things worse.

The case manager judge has done a terrible job and instead of containing things she had allowed things to totally derail. Every time we go to court things get much , much worse. I do not want to go into details but suffice to say I am once more in hiding with the kids, about to go self rep too ( too much equity in the matrimonial home which I can not access to qualify for legal
          aid).
          I'm trying to reframe my thinking to
          stay positive for the kids. I tell myself the following:
          - I have nothing more to lose
          - If the settlement ever happens and I get $10 out of it great, I gave nothing more to lose
          - if FRO ever collects support then great , I have nothing left to lose
          - I can rebuild ( within 200 years but nonetheless..,)
          - the kids are safe, he had strict supervised access which he is not exercising at present
          - I don't have to worry about legal fees, I've already been bled dry

Comment

Fro can put a lein againt any property you jointly own. Also a lein on any settlement he may receive. I know they donot do anything until the " magic $3000" amount is reached. But they can do lots once he owes that much. So best to persue FRO going after him. Also I think someone had suggested that you get a court order to prevent him from filing any more motions.

Comment

200,000.00 in legal fees for what? I simply do not understand that figure. perhaps 20,000.00 (was it a typo?).

How long have you had a case management judge? In my case it took being taken to court 10 times before I received case managemnt.

Comment

No, not a typo. 200,000 over the course of 2 years with most of it spent this year. June to Sept I was shelling out $10,000 per week!!! Our biggest court document filed was over 350 pages. My lawyer had to respond to all the ludicrous allegations.

Comment

Even had a court appearance all day long with both of our lawyers babysitting us at $550/ hr and we didn't get heard! Told to reschedule the next week.

Got to the point I wasn't eating (lost 70 lbs in 6 mos), wasn't sleeping and dreaded checking my emails. Was getting multiple daily emails from my lawyer, CAS, etc. At one point I think I developed post traumatic family law email syndrome . I refused to check my email more than twice a week . Lawyer's office had to communicate with me the old fashioned way... by phone , if it was urgent.
                  Last edited by Stillbreathing; 01-21-2015, 07:02 PM. Reason: Spelling mistake

Comment

Case management from the very first court appearance

Comment

Pretty dumb, ever do a cost benefit analysis?
                      If you hadnt already paid i would tell you to contest. I doubt that a lawyer should incur these types of costs unless the people have a very complex case and are high net worth

Comment

Cost Benifit analysis goes out the window when your fighting for your kids lives.

Comment

Originally posted by Stillbreathing View Post
                          Cost Benifit analysis goes out the window when your fighting for your kids lives.
                          Unless you are very rich - it doesn't cost 200,000$
                          Last edited by mcdreamy; 01-21-2015, 10:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Links17 View Post
                            Unless you are very rich - it doesn't cost 200,000$
                            links I was quoting you, and responding --

Whoot whoot, newsflash --not only the brain injured are cray-cray.
                            Start a discussion, not a fire. Post with kindness.

Comment

Originally posted by Links17 View Post
                              Canlii is pretty damn good... A good way to proceed is to do a search with keywords you might be interested in and then you can look for other cases that CITE that one.

Also read up on the operators (i use quotations a lot)

Also there are subset of cases that often refer to a specific landmark court case so you can use the "cite trick" for that too.

Canlii gives pro se litigants a shot
                              I find knowing how to navigate the citations are key - You can find quite a comprehensive list of similar material if you follow the citations.

Narrow your search fields by adding the "+" sign.

I also restrict most searches to my province only - I'll read caselaw from other provinces, but frankly if it hasn't made it's way through an appeal court, I tend to choose not to rely on material if it is out of province.
                              Start a discussion, not a fire. Post with kindness.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X