Moving and moving again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving and moving again

In the last 30 months Parent A (custody 50/50, primary residency with Parent A) moved 6 times from one place of residence to another, an average once every 5 months. Consequently tries to move the child wherever it is convenient for them.

Child is currently in a daycare and will attend a pre-school this coming September. Is there any way to change residency from Parent A to Parent based on Parent A frequent moves/instability?

Your issue is parent A moves a lot. So what.

You have 50/50 access? (you used word custody above, which refers to decision making, not access).

And you want the residency to change from 50/50 to what based on these frequent moves?

So far I don't know what your issue is. Or what your actual question is.

Note: You must provide proof that whatever your asking is in the best interests of the child. Just saying they move a lot is not proof enough.

Comment

This can be a major issue for a child depending on what impact it is having on the child.

Does the move impact parents ability to get child to daycare, doctor, dentist, programs ext?

If the answer is no that the child is still able to stay consistently in there programs and service providers and the home although often changing is safe then there is nothing to be done.

If yes it is impacting and the child is moving providers or the new locations are unfit for the child then that would be the only way that the constant moves would be an issue.

You may want to have a discussion regarding where the child will be going to school and if your home is the permanent home that you both agree that is the school so that the other parents moves won't affect child's ability to stay in one consistent school.

Comment

Key words: *can be*.

Nothing has been substantiated. In fact no reasons have even been offered.

Impact ability to get kid to doctor, daycare, programs? Is parent A living off the grid in the desert? Lol. There are school buses to get to school... public transportation in most cases... Parent A parent is also the primary residence. Lastly, why didn't Parent B oppose any of these moves if they are so concerning?

Comment

Unless you can prove the child has been harmed by the multiple moves, you will unlikely be successful in changing custody.

Just because someone moves, it isn't always because of the fault of that person. It may be for very reasonable reasons.

But you would have to prove the child was harmed, or that the child is at risk of being harmed, which is a pretty steep hill to climb.

Comment

I moved 6x in the last 3 years but ex couldnt do anything so no, if he moved 6 times u wont hurt the kid permanently by taking their father from them nor they can do that if u r the one who movedbut pretending it was the ex.

Comment

Dadx5 thanks, what you wrote makes sense Unfortunately to have a discussion is not possible as discussion involves two people actually listening to each other, not this case.

HammerDad, no need to change custody. Custody is 50/50 and we are happy with the custody situation. We are trying to understand if residency can be changes based on Parent's A frequent moves (am average every 5 months).

Iceberg, thanks for your input but you got it wrong. "He" didn't move, "he" stays at the same address. I guess if you moved 6 times, you did not attempt to move your child'ren frmo school to school 6 times, am I correct?

The problem is not the moving itself. Parent A can move every month. The problem is that Parent A attempts to move the child from daycare to another one whereve it is convenient to them. Just recently that same Parent A filed a moting to move the child to another daycare without Parent'B concent. Parent A failed miserably with the costs. Again, they can move wherever they want, as many times as they want to, who the Hell cares but they can't move the child from one place to another like a sack of potatoes everywhere they go. THis is how I feel anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Mother View Post
                Dadx5 thanks, what you wrote makes sense Unfortunately to have a discussion is not possible as discussion involves two people actually listening to each other, not this case.
                I am a little confused. Is it joint custody? If so part of that is communication. I understand things can be very difficult with the other parent but if you are going to have joint custody or shared custody then decisions about school ect need to be discussed with both parents.

Comment

Sorry. Moving the childs school/ daycare is not in the best interest of the child and can be a custody issue

Comment

Originally posted by Dadx5 View Post
                    I am a little confused. Is it joint custody? If so part of that is communication. I understand things can be very difficult with the other parent but if you are going to have joint custody or shared custody then decisions about school ect need to be discussed with both parents.
                    Yes dear, the custody is joint legal, 50/50 (not joint physical custody).

Precisely, decisions about school/daycare must be made jointly but Parent A wants to override the Final Order and get their way or the highway thingy. Moving their butt every 5 months is one thing, trying to move the child from school/daycare every time they move is a totally different one. Therefore I am wondering is it possible to change residency so the child stays in one place and is not being dragged all the time or it involves the change of physical custody and practically impossible to change. Hope I explained it more/less clear.

Just very recently Parent A filed a motion (as I mentioned above) to change the daycare without Parent B consent and failed miserably and had to pay the costs. No amount of convincing/discussion/explaining worked because the attitude is "I want it and if I want it in must be my way or go to Hell I am taking you to court" - kinda thing.

Comment

Originally posted by The Iceberg View Post
                      Sorry. Moving the childs school/ daycare is not in the best interest of the child and can be a custody issue
                      That's what I thought too.

Comment

So you have Joint Legal Custody but what is the parent access? Do you have the child 50/50. One week on or off so to speak. Or does one parent have the child residing with the. And the other parent is the NCP with access?

Comment

Originally posted by Beachnana View Post
                          So you have Joint Legal Custody but what is the parent access? Do you have the child 50/50. One week on or off so to speak. Or does one parent have the child residing with the. And the other parent is the NCP with access?
                          Parent B has every other weekend and on the off week one overnight visit.

Comment

Getting an order that states specifically the children's current doctor, and service providers will stay the same unless a written agreement between the parents or a court order.

Also one that states the child's current school will stay the same until the start of JK (I think you stated the child is in a preschool not school age yet) again unless written agreement between parents or a court order

Then a clause stating which school the child will attend from grade Jk-8 and again make sure it states unless agreed in writing between parents or a court order.

This will ensure that no matter where the moves happen the child is kept stable, if the moving parent has difficulty getting the child to appointments or school then a court may change the access situation.

In my case child's mom moved 12 homes, and 6 schools in 5 years. There wasn't much I could do about it right away it was a long process to make a change in the situation.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                            Working...
                            X