Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CS & Apprenticeship

hi,

My ex husband and I have separated 17 years ago. We are not one of those disputing ex's. Him and I have remained friends and my boys did not have to experience any of the stress that most separations cause.

My ex has paid child support faithfully since the separation without FRO involved.

My youngest son is 19 now and has started in a 310S (car mechanic) apprenticeship. He is working as his training and is getting paid. He has to pay for his apprenticeship program himself and will collect EI when doing the courses. He also is buying his tools that is needed.

My ex asked me if he can stop paying support now that the son is getting a regular pay cheque. I told him I do not know and will look into it. So here I am.

My son does not pay board, he bought his own vehicle and pays his own insurance and is saving for the apprenticeship. I still make his breakfast and his lunches (ya I know he is spoiled....lol). I have done some research and found a forum that said that the judges still consider an apprenticeship a form of education because he is seeking a career in a trade program and therefore child support should still be paid.

So my question is; is my ex still responsible to pay the child support (of 422 a month) while my 19 year old is in an apprenticeship or not?

Any and all advice is appreciated.
    Thank you,

It's my understanding that an apprenticeship is required in order to participate in the mechanics programs at college, at the time of applying. If this is why he is doing it, and will be going to school in the near future then he is still considered a student and CS continues.

Comment

If your son is in a sponsored apprentiship working for a business, they should be contributing or paying his full apprentiship. Trades school runs in three terms of 10 weeks each at a recognized college When the apprentice meets his required hours which takes about 4 years to achieve, he will write his Certificate of Qualification. In my opinion an apprentiship is not full time school when you are only required to attend 10 weeks at a time and he's getting unemployment. The rest of the year he is working. I would ask the father to maybe help him with his tools although he should be getting some kind of government assisted tool allowance. The father shouldn't be paying child support at this point. There's nothing wrong with helping his son directly until he's done his apprentiship.

Comment

Having gone through the Apprenticeship program for two separate tickets, I would be of the opinion that CS should end.
        As the child is working full time for 10 months a year, it would be essentially paying CS for an employed adult.

Comment

Do you think you could reach an agreement where you could perhaps put CS on hold during the apprenticeship and resume once he's in school? That might be a fair compromise.

Comment

Originally posted by Maggie82 View Post
            Do you think you could reach an agreement where you could perhaps put CS on hold during the apprenticeship and resume once he's in school? That might be a fair compromise.
            The young man is working and Not in school full time. If he's working full time which he should be with an apprentiship. He will be collecting UI. Some shops allow their apprentices to work.
            His father could use the $422 in CS toward his son to help him offset the cost of his tools. Sorry, I'd be debating this if I were him. I too have been thru an apprenticship. I bought my 1st house/mortgaged, my 2nd year.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
            Working...
            X