X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tax on lump sum spousal?

Hi there
    Quick question: If one receives a lump sum spousal support payment, is it treated as taxable income in that year?

No, payments have to be periodic to be taxable.

Comment

Thanks dad to the end. (BTW I did try searching for this and couldn't find a clear answer - plus kids were here and couldn't sift thru all the posts). I am trying to figure out if we should do everything as lump sum payments from the equity in the house and get it over with. By the same token, I guess the child support as lump sum has no tax effect?
      My lawyer is advising me to take a lump sum for "section 7" I don't know why she doesn't want to just call it "child support". I hate asking her these questions because I get charged for every email and sometimes I think lawyers aren't doing the math on the taxes - some things aren't worth fighting over after you crunch the numbers.

Comment

I think it can be claimed - see some info at the revenue website re: lump-sum support. I could be wrong but it won't hurt calling the revenue office to confirm - Line 156 and 128 - Support payments received

Comment

The child support has no income tax consequences, lump sum or not.

For spousal, there are a FEW specific exceptions where a lumpsum would be taxable. e.g. an arrears catchup payment is one, I think. See the CRA website for more details.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
          Working...
          X