Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Financial Issues

Financial Issues This forum is for discussing any of the financial issues involved in your divorce.

Old 09-02-2019, 08:03 PM

Snowstorm is on a distinguished road
Default Question about reduced CS during postsecondary

My daughter moved to college residence yesterday about 50 mins away. She'll be home most weekends at first as she's keeping her p/t job here until at least Christmas break is over.

Today my ex texted that because she's living away, he'd be reducing CS by about a third (we have 3 kids). I feel that's too much of a reduction as I will still be driving up to take her grocery shopping, buying supplies as needed, and of course supporting her when she's back home.

The other issue is he's been paying less than table CS for several years, so his arbitrary reduction would be difficult.

What is a fair CS reduction while a child is away at school?
Old 09-02-2019, 08:21 PM

standing on the sidelines is on a distinguished road

Is he paying for her residence, meal plan?
Old 09-02-2019, 08:40 PM

rockscan will become famous soon enoughrockscan will become famous soon enough

Why havenít you updated cs? That would be the first thing that needs to be done.

Technically since she is living away from home he is not obligated to pay cs but you could suggest that instead of paying the full cs for four months of the summer, he could pay the average of it over 12 months with no change for the summer months.
Old 09-02-2019, 08:48 PM

mcdreamy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockscan View Post
Technically since she is living away from home he is not obligated to pay cs but you could suggest that instead of paying the full cs for four months of the summer, he could pay the average of it over 12 months with no change for the summer months.
This is not accurate. Dependent on both parental income and parental education, CS in university is very much a case-specific agreement.
Old 09-02-2019, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Is he paying for her residence, meal plan?
I'm not entirely sure. The original plan was we'd each pay half of tuition (about $6500, so $3250 each)

She got OSAP, almost half grants and the remainder loans. If we each pay half of tuition, she shouldn't have to use much of the loan portion and would finish school with little debt, as she also has money saved for books and expenses.

He told me he wanted her to take loans so she had incentive to try hard, and he'd pay his half in 2 1/2 years when she finished the course. Realistically, she would not see that money. Apparently he told her now he's willing to contribute about $2k this year. That's the last I've heard.

Quote:
Why havenít you updated cs? That would be the first thing that needs to be done.
Because we did our SA ourselves and I agreed to take a set amount of CS per month without adjusting annually for income. At the time I felt that if he wanted to work OT, etc, he should be able to keep the extra money for himself. In hindsight it was a terrible decision but it helped the separation to finalize quickly. A couple years in, he asked to reduce the amount by $200/month, which I also agreed to.
Old 09-02-2019, 10:07 PM

rockscan will become famous soon enoughrockscan will become famous soon enough

Well then I would be telling him that you agreed to a lower amount and have not update properly. That if he insist on reducing cs arbitrarily you will file a motion for proper support as well as a proportionate share of expenses.

My husband paid about $2,000 for school expenses while on EI. If your ex is earning more than $25,000 a year his share would be more than two grand.

Not to mention that he doesnít just get to decide how much and when he pays.

You may want to speak to a lawyer about the validity of your original agreement and what steps you should take now. Especially if you have two more children who will be going into post grad studies.
Old 09-02-2019, 11:55 PM

Janus will become famous soon enoughJanus will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdreamy View Post
This is not accurate. Dependent on both parental income and parental education, CS in university is very much a case-specific agreement.
If the payor is helping to pay for residence and meal plan, CS would definitely be reduced. The actual amount of reduction is case-specific, but there would certainly be a reduction.

That said, he is not paying table, so he doesn't have a leg to stand on.

I would offer 30% less than table amount, with a stipulation that he provides you his notice of assessment (tax return). If he does not take that then feel free to go to court. It would be an easy win for you.
Old 09-03-2019, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockscan View Post
Well then I would be telling him that you agreed to a lower amount and have not update properly. That if he insist on reducing cs arbitrarily you will file a motion for proper support as well as a proportionate share of expenses.

My husband paid about $2,000 for school expenses while on EI. If your ex is earning more than $25,000 a year his share would be more than two grand.
He is at top rate in a union job. We made our SA 6 1/2 years ago, so he must make significantly more now. He hasn't paid S7 expenses since probably the first year or so, and when he did I always paid 50% when my proportionate share would have been about 30-35% at that time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janus
I would offer 30% less than table amount, with a stipulation that he provides you his notice of assessment (tax return). If he does not take that then feel free to go to court. It would be an easy win for you.
That seems reasonable. Would I calculate the table amount by using the calculator for 3 kids, then using it for 2 kids, then reduce the difference by 30%?

How does S7 work for college when almost half of tuition/residence is covered by non-repayable grants? Does that become the child's share? OSAP is based on my income as the children reside with me.
Old 09-03-2019, 09:32 AM

Ana Ana is on a distinguished road

I really don't understand the logic behind reduce the payment because she moved! Most of your household expenses still almost the same, hope for her all the best and bright future
Old 09-03-2019, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ana Ana View Post
I really don't understand the logic behind reduce the payment because she moved! Most of your household expenses still almost the same, hope for her all the best and bright future
I agree, especially because with the time off for Christmas break (almost a month) and almost five months off in summer, she's really not gone that long. Also when I moved her in, we did a grocery/supplies shop that cost about $100, and I expect I'll take her for groceries a couple times a month. But I know it's customary to reduce CS while the child is away, I'm just trying to see what's fair in my situation.