Do I have to pay Child support to her

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I have to pay Child support to her

My Daughter is finishing high school this June and plans a sabatical for a year, do I have to pay her CS for July and August has she is not returning to shcool this September or I just stop paying CS in September. Thank you for any direction you can give me much appreciated. :O)

-You must refer to your separation agreement or divorce order. What does it say?

-Are you doing payments through FRO or privately? It can be difficult to stop payments through FRO without agreement of the other party.

-Is the child of the age of majority (18 in most places)?

-Is the child working part or full-time and able to support themselves?

Generally speaking, unless the child is actually enrolled in a post secondary program, child support stops when they turn 18. Many parents choose to help out their children voluntarily for longer than this, often giving some support directly to the child, but this is not covered by the law.

The onus is on the custodial parent and the child to prove that child support is still required beyond this time. The only exception is for disabilities where the child may not have the ability to be self-sufficient and for post secondary education.

Comment

If the child is upgrading their marks, whether it be part time or full time, c/s would likely have to continue. If the child is doing nothing, I would suggest c/s ceases effective the date they cease to be enrolled in school full time, which would be the end of this semester.

Be clear though, that once the child does go back to school full time, c/s will start back up.

Comment

Thank you C/S do I have to still pay

Originally posted by HammerDad View Post
        If the child is upgrading their marks, whether it be part time or full time, c/s would likely have to continue. If the child is doing nothing, I would suggest c/s ceases effective the date they cease to be enrolled in school full time, which would be the end of this semester.

Be clear though, that once the child does go back to school full time, c/s will start back up.
        Thank you for reply much appreciated. I do not have an agreement as she stopped it just before the final agreement was to be signed as her lawyer wanted more money. After spending between us close to 30,000.00 she sent her lawyer backing. I always paid C/S every month from the time my daughter lived with her. My daughter will be finishing up at the end of June and will be taking a sabbatical for a year. I will of course help her out whenever she needs to be helped. There is no FRO involved. Just wanted to make sure. Should I send her something to that effect? She never keeps me in the loop on anything. My daughter keeps my in the loop only if I ask and never initiates interest in me if she does not need anything. Still never miss her birthdays and special occasion cause I love her unconditionally. Thank you for your answer.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X