Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harrasment on 3rd parties

Dear All

I have a couple of question about abuse. After separation from my partner, I started dating again. The girl I'm currently seeing is receiving harassing calls. In less then 6 weeks, 36 calls. Also when I confronted her (the x) about it, the x spouse called my gf just to show she could. The voice on the call is not hers, its a voice my gf doesn't recognize. However a friend has told me that on occasion when calls have occurred, its her and her daughter (who is 21) in a car at their work. All calls are 1 hour before her work, 1 hour after and conform to her break scheduled. The police have been tied because there is so much they can do.

My first question(s) is this, is there any thing I can do to stop the calls and harassment in family court. Any way to bring that into the family court arena? What option do I have of getting records so I can help my gf in her complaint? and does this classify as spousal abuse?

How to use Call Trace
    • Hang up after receiving the threatening or harassing call.
    • Lift the receiver and dial *57 (or 1157 on rotary phones).
    • Wait for a recording to tell you whether the call was traced successfully and hang up.
    Tips:
    • Call Trace service works only on the last incoming call.
    • Call Trace service works on blocked calls.
    • The number of the traced caller will be released to the police by Bell if they request it.
    There is a charge of $5.00 for each successful use of Call Trace up to a maximum of $10.00 per month per line. The charge applies whether or not the traced number is requested by the police. Using Call Trace does not guarantee that the police will accept your case or follow up on a Call Trace request.

Comment

Dear Mess

Thank you for the quick response. We tried call trace, it doesn't work (sort of). The number is a long distance call carrier. They have a long distance calling card, they call it, then use that number to call my GF. Its always the same three numbers. This is why the police are having a hard time moving forward on the case.

Comment

You can't bring any action in court unless you have factual proof.

If it were me, I would change my number and get two new phones. I would give one number to the ex and say it was my new phone. No one else would have that number.

It doesn't quite prove that it is the ex calling and harassing, but it would make for a good sworn affidavit.

Comment

Originally posted by NDuclos View Post
          Dear All

I have a couple of question about abuse. After separation from my partner, I started dating again. The girl I'm currently seeing is receiving harassing calls. In less then 6 weeks, 36 calls. Also when I confronted her (the x) about it, the x spouse called my gf just to show she could. The voice on the call is not hers, its a voice my gf doesn't recognize. However a friend has told me that on occasion when calls have occurred, its her and her daughter (who is 21) in a car at their work. All calls are 1 hour before her work, 1 hour after and conform to her break scheduled. The police have been tied because there is so much they can do.

My first question(s) is this, is there any thing I can do to stop the calls and harassment in family court. Any way to bring that into the family court arena? What option do I have of getting records so I can help my gf in her complaint? and does this classify as spousal abuse?
          why would you even think it would classify as spousal abuse???? Talk about reaching. It is harrassment between your gf and whoever is doing the calls. Not sure how your gf handles it but hanging up is a good start. Whoever is playing the game will get sick of it when they do not get the response they want. Not sure of what was said in the calls but to say it has to be ex and daughter because the calls come one hour before and after work is not proof, unless they are the only people in the world who have those exact working hours. Yes a friend can say that they are doing it but unless they are in the car listening to the conversation they cant be certain of who they are calling.

Comment

off the wall question - but why or how would the ex even have the gf's number?!?! I'm just thinking in terms of my own situation... there is no way in hell I'd give the stbx my boyfriend's cell phone... if he, or the kids, need to reach me they can call my phone.....

best wishes!!

Comment

Get call display. The next time the harrassing phone calls come, save the number. Keep track of every time that number calls you, and then DON'T ANSWER!

If it continues, you can ask the court for disclosure of your ex's phone records. It *might* show that she is calling the number that shows up on your phone, but it might not. It could show that the calls your gf is receiving coincide with the calls she is making.

Worth a shot. Court may not give you disclosure, but at least you are doing something. Other than that, you can ask for an order that your ex and have no contact whatsoever. The other thing to look into is a Peace Bond.

Comment

It's easy to block a number from a cell phone so they can't harass her that way anymore. That being said, if they are determined, blocking their numbers won't stop them. They will just find another way to harass her.

Comment

Buy her one of these:

Amazon.com: Pyle-Pro PMP30 Professional Megaphone/Bullhorn with Siren: Sports & Outdoors

Frankly, I'd just use call block. Its going to be a whole hell of a lot of work to trace these calls and its a far stretch that they're going to do anything about it in court.

Its just high school nonsense. Either block the calls or simply ignore them. She'll get tired of doing it soon enough. If that's all she's doing to harrass her...its no big deal....I've heard a lot worse.

Comment

To my knowledge, and I've checked with (at least) my service provider, you can't block any numbers from calling your cell phone - only a Land Line. But as someone pointed out: the "caller" will just call from a different phone. The idea of having 2 separate cell phones - while a slight p.i.t.a is a good one if only the ex is given the one # and not the other.

Basically, if you don't respond or engage, the person calling will get tired of it. Unless there is a threat made (ie: voicemail) no one is going to give a hoot - and getting cell phone records of the other party ordered by the court is a huge longshot. That's more for Criminal Court(s).

Comment

I like Mess, idea. Buy a cheap pay as you go and make sure the ex only has that one. Devious, evil, etc. Well played.

Comment

Originally posted by Pursuinghappiness View Post
                        Buy her one of these:

Amazon.com: Pyle-Pro PMP30 Professional Megaphone/Bullhorn with Siren: Sports & Outdoors

Frankly, I'd just use call block. Its going to be a whole hell of a lot of work to trace these calls and its a far stretch that they're going to do anything about it in court.

Its just high school nonsense. Either block the calls or simply ignore them. She'll get tired of doing it soon enough. If that's all she's doing to harrass her...its no big deal....I've heard a lot worse.
                        works for telemarketers also lol
                        I had an ex who was like that and it was before call display (hard to believe, boy I am old) I knew it was him as he would call when someone was at the rental house (he had moved out, lease was in my name) and not talk. He would call for about an hour straight. A friend suggested a whistle and to blow it into the phone when the person wouldnt answer. Worked like a charm, just needed to use it about three times and he left me alone.

Comment

Check your individual phone.
                          I have an option to block callers/telephone numbers-it doesn't ring and goes straight to voicemail.
                          I also have an option to block texts from certain phone numbers-I get nothing if that number sends me a text.

Comment

two phones an excellent idea. wish I had thought of that one

Comment

Dear all.

Thanks for the responces. Ill try to address the questions. My GF is being harrased because she is my gf, there is no other tie between her and my x spouse. My X spouses daughter has placed harrasing calls befor to other people. Some things suggested do not work, The Numbers change because it a calling card. She calls a calling card and the card number shows up on the call displlay. Based on time and frequency, it can be a variety of numbers.

As for the call times, 1 hour before, 1 hour after, to her break schedule and she works the night shift. This was going on for several months. Their are a few exceptions to the calls, 2 days she got harassing calls all night were the nights the x called in sick to work. Several of the calls are within minutes of the x emailing me, and then the gf gets a call. She identified one person on the call, who moved into the building with the spouse the week she moved in.

She has informed me that the police will do nothing, cause its a small case and there is nothing to tie her to the calls. She can't do anything about the one person she identified, because she wasn't speaking into the phone it was people in a background that could have been at a bar or any other location. SEveral times the calls are just calls a someone is walking through a mall or park.

My Gf is actually intimidated to the point that its killing our relationship and she doesn't want to go to court with me on Custody issues because she get calls.

The initial week the police contacted her about the calls they stopped for several weeks. Now they restarted with random numbers completely and completely different times. However they still all occur within 10 minutes of emails.

She has said in an affidavide that she has provided her phone to the police, but there is no record of that information.

We asked the ase to be re-opened.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X