No announcement yet.

motion for termination of child support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just to build on what blink says...theres also going to be contributions your daughter will have to make and certain things may be available to her. A judge could decide that D18 has to make a contribution to school. It may not be a lot but over the course of 2-6 years it could add up. Depending on her abilities and what she is eligible for, she may have to utilize whatever resources are available for her contribution. Plus, your ex may have had his lawyer look into disability resources that he may counter any of your arguments with. Added to that, if he decides to default, you may need these resources in the future.

A good starting point are the disability services at the college. They are able to advise on the full slate of options available both financial and educational supports. Plus they can help with a long term plan that is not only achievable, but also tangible to put in your order.

Remember youre going to need a very clear cut order that can be filed with FRO for recovery. Saying she'll do two years and MAY continue to university gives your ex a possible out. If its in the order its enforceable but also something that can be opted out of if D decides to go into the workforce after college.

Comment

Thanks for all your input. Spoke to my lawyer and have agreed to have her represent me.
      Will post results after the court date in March.

Comment

I've just in the process of applying for Ontario Disability Support Payments for my son. His mother doesn't not pay for support for him, he is 21, but he has had serious mental health issues for years. I agree with others that this is something you should do for both long and short term. It will get you both financial relief and resources you may need to help your daughter become self sufficient.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X