Last Month's Rent Cheque...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last Month's Rent Cheque...

Is the last month's rent cheque considered an asset to be split 50/50? Spouse moved out on first half of month and I started new lease separately. Landlord is giving back last month amount from old lease. Spouse's name is on the original lease.

It came out of shared money when the first lease was taken out for both of you so it makes complete sense that it would be still considered shared money.

If the two of you really needed to find a way to fight over such a small amount of money, perhaps find someone smart enough to do the math: split the amount 50-50 and prorate the amount returned to her based on the number of days she was there. Then find something worth fighting over.

Comment

Well over 20 years ago, when I got divorced, the landlord actually cut two cheques, one for my ex and one for me. This was at their discretion, neither my ex or myself asked for this. I thought it was only fair though. He moved out 2 months before I secured a new apartment, but I asked and he agreed to pay half of the rent until I found a place I could afford myself. My part was to find a place as quickly as I could, which I did.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
      Working...
      X