When does PS obligation end?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When does PS obligation end?

My lawyer says that I shouldn't have to pay for post-secondary costs after the first diploma or degree, which ever comes first. He tells me I'll probably still have to pay child support if my son keeps on at school, full-time, but that I have already met my obligation. He's now 22, if that matters. Is this generally accepted by judges?

What does your agreement state? Im going to say nothing if youre asking...

Most say age 22 or first degree. If your son is only going part time there is case law about your contribution. If hes just bouncing from program to program as a permanent student theres also case law.

The law says depending on course of study, childs goals/work opportunities and parents education (in so many words).

What does your son say? Does he have a plan?

Comment

There's nothing about how long it goes on for...
      It only says we both have to contribute equally for post-secondary expenses.

He completed a 2 year program in police technology already but now he wants to switch to a three year bachelor program in a completely different area.

Is my lawyer right that after the first diploma or degree is completed that my
      post secondary obligation is done?

Comment

Hes employable with the first degree. Your lawyer is correct. If your ex tries to take it further she would have to demonstrate why he isnt going into that field and how the new degree will help get a job.

Many of the cases for a second degree/diploma that Ive read are for kids who need either a masters or a post grad diploma to get a job. And they were also with parents who had masters levels and made over $100,000.

Im not a lawyer though. Your lawyer should probably draft your response to your ex. If you and your ex paid all your kids bills then its not unreasonable to have him start shouldering some costs.

Comment

something else that is considered is level of parents' education - do both parents have minimum of baccalaureate degrees?

Comment

Sometimes technologist programmes have an "off-ramp" to entering a full bachelor's degree that students can opt for if they decide they want a degree, not just a certificate - so check out whether his switching to a BA programme is a common path for his technology programme (I'm assuming his current programme is community college and he wants to move to a degree programme at a university?).

However, if the fields are completely different, it's clearly not an off-ramp situation.

Comment

Yes, the fields are completely different, they have no connection. I feel that the money I contributed (50%) for his first diploma will be wasted. And of course it's been a real stretch to cover that cost.

I should also mention that he has nothing to do with me, doesn't have any contact with me, but seems to expect that the money will just keep coming for whatever.

Thank you everyone. This is encouraging. If anyone else has advice, please feel free to add to this.

Comment

You should also look up "termination of parental relationship" too.

All of the factors--22, already graduated, termination of parental relationship etc all point to you being done.

If I were you, I would have my lawyer draft a letter for your ex outlining the end of support. It would be different if he was 19 and graduated early and was going into a post grad program to supplement his first degree. This is not normal.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                Working...
                X