Still arguing over child support at 18

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Still arguing over child support at 18

Why can we not file a motion for contempt if ex has stopped paying child support.I have not used FRO as cheques have always been on time for the last 14 years.
    He has decided now that she is 18 years old and she has RESP funds, he has no further responsibility. Her initial payment was for 9000. Her first year expenses are 8000. This does not include living expenses as she lives at home with me while attending school full time
    Why is he so adamant that no child support is owing.
    What am I missing?

You are missing nothing. He should be paying child support while your child is at school, unless you have an agreement that explicitly says otherwise.

Comment

If you have an order for CS then NOW is the time to file with the FRO

Comment

Can I do this even though the last amended order was back in 2009?

Comment

Originally posted by myteam View Post
          Can I do this even though the last amended order was back in 2009?
          Absolutely, this is exactly what FRO is for. If he wants it changed he will have to get a new court order.

Comment

As long as the child is a full time student and considered a "child of the marriage" then child support is due. It may also depend on the wording of your separation agreement though. Some really do say it ends at 18 without strings attached.

Part-time student doesn't count, she should be starting to support herself if that's the case.

And yes, you can file your old order with FRO no problem.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
            Working...
            X