X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dear RBC Insurance

Originally posted by RBCInsurance
    Dear blinkandimgone,

It seems we have upset you by posting on the Ottawa Divorce forum. I wanted to personally reach out to you and apologize that we have upset you and explain that we reviewed the terms of use for the forum and could not find any references to the prohibition of advertising, as you suggest. If you have found something that we missed - kindly send our way.

Furthermore, business is doing quite well at RBC Insurance and reaching out to clients or potential clients in the channels where they are looking for information is part of our commitment to putting clients first and is in line with our business practices. If you would like to speak with my sales manager for any further concerns, she can be reached at amanda.wilson@rbc.com.

I hope this helps and if you have any further questions or concerns with our conduct on the forum, I would appreciate you speaking with my sales manager or myself, rather than posting replies.

Kind regards,
    Alejandra Velarde, Social Media Team, RBC Insurance Services Inc.
    If you have an issue with getting a public response, perhaps you should rethink your (rather poor) strategy of attempting to drum up business on a public forum chasing down individuals looking for legal information in regards to divorce. Although I am sure you would prefer to get a private response to save yourself the embarassment, I am not in the habit of replying privately to unsolicited private messages, especially those that have the gall to ask something of me.

It is shameful that you would attempt to exploit the personal crises of individuals as they deal with the issues surrounding their dissolving marriage and family by trolling for business on a divorce forum. If RBC considers this a reasonable business practice perhaps you (and they) need to revisit their values and service commitment to clients.

I suspect you're likely trolling on other support forums as well. Have you checked out the Cancer support forums? I am sure business would be profitable for you there.

If you have any actual advice in response to the questions posted in regards to DIVORCE, then please post your information.

If you have any further requests regarding my public posting in response to your public postings please send them to:

blinkandimgone@gopoundsand.com

Have a great day!

Originally posted by blinkandimgone View Post
    If you have an issue with getting a public response, perhaps you should rethink your (rather poor) strategy of attempting to drum up business on a public forum chasing down individuals looking for legal information in regards to divorce. Although I am sure you would prefer to get a private response to save yourself the embarassment, I am not in the habit of replying privately to unsolicited private messages, especially those that have the gall to ask something of me.

It is shameful that you would attempt to exploit the personal crises of individuals as they deal with the issues surrounding their dissolving marriage and family by trolling for business on a divorce forum. If RBC considers this a reasonable business practice perhaps you (and they) need to revisit their values and service commitment to clients.

I suspect you're likely trolling on other support forums as well. Have you checked out the Cancer support forums? I am sure business would be profitable for you there.

If you have any actual advice in response to the questions posted in regards to DIVORCE, then please post your information.

If you have any further requests regarding my public posting in response to your public postings please send them to:

blinkandimgone@gopoundsand.com

Have a great day!
    1. Great response and thank-you for bringing forward this information publicly for all members to see.

2. Considering the very well reported case-law about the inappropriate conduct of RBC employees in a divorce matter and the resulting order against them it is deplorable that they would use this means to advertise business.

3. RBC should know better to conduct themselves in this manner in matters regarding divorce:

Canadian Employment Law Today Article - RBC on the hook for damages after employee breaches client’s privacy

"The court agreed RBC’s disclosure of Landry’s account information directly to the husband’s lawyer violated PIPEDA."

Magically CanLII produces the following court order and case law:

Landry v. Royal Bank of Canada, 2011 FC 687 (CanLII)

Date: 2011-06-14
    Docket: T-245-10
    URL: CanLII - 2011 FC 687 (CanLII)
    Citation: Landry v. Royal Bank of Canada, 2011 FC 687 (CanLII)

This is conduct is a matter in my opinion that should be addressed by the Office of the Ombudsman:

Ombudsman for Banking Services and Investments - Step 1: Complain to the firm

When I find some time I will write a detailed complaint and post to this thread that members can then cut-and-paste and mail in directly to the Ombudsman requesting a formal investigation into the conduct of RBC Insurance.

Good Luck!
    Tayken

Comment

Ha.
      It really is shameful that this guy is tring to garner a business contact from someone elses misfortune. One day Karma will revisit the sentiment upon him.
      Or at least, thats how my belief sytem is arranged.

Profit off someones misfortune... Despicable.

Comment

Great post Blink! Agree w/everyone here!!

Comment

Disgusting RBC marketing tactic. I hope everyone here emails the RBC to complain.

Thanks for reminding me why I dumped RBC years ago (corporate & personal). Bunch of low-life commission sales people handling investments.

Comment

Yup, recently dumped RBC, myself, and would NEVER go back. How they could be encouraged to troll for business like this is unbelievable and to then further JUSTIFY their tactics is disgusting.

I work in Social Media and have NEVER seen such a blatantly crass attempt to drum up business from people who are vulnerable to being taken advantage of.

RBC has some serious issues with their values and hiring processes if they are comfortable behaving this way and their people are trained to justify their actions while bragging about how good business is.

Comment

I'm with RBC currently but I may dump them because of this.

Which bank do you use? I know Scotiabank is very popular with my friends and family.

Comment

My 2 cents: Scotiabank is decent but if you're in the Toronto/Peel/Halton/Niiagara Region the very best financial institution is Meridian Credit Union. I've had several challenges throughout separation and litigation etc., and they have worked with me, with and around those challenges.

Comment

I sent his manager a complaint letter. I'm in Ottawa, I may investigate credit unions as well.

Comment

Definitely worth looking into. I've found that the Credit Union atmosphere is much more accomodating and supportive of the various demands and situatons people have. I've got one helluva situation at the moment. If my credit union can help me this time, as far as I'm concerned - they rule. Interest rates are generally better at Credit Unions and the staff, in my experience really do offer personal service and seem to care.

Comment

Originally posted by blinkandimgone View Post
                      Yup, recently dumped RBC, myself, and would NEVER go back. How they could be encouraged to troll for business like this is unbelievable and to then further JUSTIFY their tactics is disgusting.

I work in Social Media and have NEVER seen such a blatantly crass attempt to drum up business from people who are vulnerable to being taken advantage of.

RBC has some serious issues with their values and hiring processes if they are comfortable behaving this way and their people are trained to justify their actions while bragging about how good business is.

I am an Auditor with a brokerage, and work with several different insurers (RBC is NOT one of them)..... as a Licensed Broker I do understand the "why" behind their attempts, but it does not mean I like them....

A sales broker is expected to chase down leads wherever they can.... I think this particular representative could have conducted himself with a little more thoughtfulness behind his blatant messages..... A lot of companies are attempting to jump on the social media bandwagon.... In the last year, I've seen many different companies pop up in some of the different forums I frequent.... I get it, but I don't like it!!

I too use to be and RBC client but dumped them in favour of banking with my local Credit Union as well. Rates & fees were a lot better, as was the personal atmosphere....

Comment

I got a reply from the RBC poster's manager, Amanda Wilson. Sounds a little more sincere than the original apology to Blink.

"Dear Mr. XYZ, Thank you for your email and let me extend my personal apologies for our upset caused on the Ottawa Divorce forum.
                        RBC Insurance recognizes that divorce is a distressing event, as you pointed out, and by participating in the forum, we were seeking to provide support during life transitions to people who may have a genuine need for an discussion with a licensed insurance advisor. Life insurance is an important consideration during the time of divorce, including changing beneficiaries, options with regard to pensions and the ability to maintain a particular family lifestyle after divorce. It seems that our intended message was not conveyed in our post and that we have upset people with our presence on the forum, and for that I apologize."

Comment

I had a choice between going with RBC and Scotiabank for my new mortgage. RBC offered me significantly more funds, however, I've been using Scotiabank for years and ended up going with them.

Although I haven't had much dealings with RBC...I can say Scotiabank is easily one of the best banks I've ever dealt with. I highly recommend them.

I know the insurance biz is tough but its pretty silly to put your name, employer and telephone number on this divorce forum while trolling for clients.

Comment

Originally posted by winterwolf7 View Post
                            I got a reply from the RBC poster's manager, Amanda Wilson. Sounds a little more sincere than the original apology to Blink.

"Dear Mr. XYZ, Thank you for your email and let me extend my personal apologies for our upset caused on the Ottawa Divorce forum.
                            RBC Insurance recognizes that divorce is a distressing event, as you pointed out, and by participating in the forum, we were seeking to provide support during life transitions to people who may have a genuine need for an discussion with a licensed insurance advisor. Life insurance is an important consideration during the time of divorce, including changing beneficiaries, options with regard to pensions and the ability to maintain a particular family lifestyle after divorce. It seems that our intended message was not conveyed in our post and that we have upset people with our presence on the forum, and for that I apologize."

...and in that I'm still hearing a sales pitch.... WTF?!

glad I'm not with them!

Comment

It is clear that RBC Insurance continues to "blow hot and cold at the same time" regarding their business tactics. They continue to offer empty apologies regarding their conduct but, in the same manner try to justify their business conduct and sell product to anyone who will listen.

Here is a break down of the dysfunctional response to WinterWolf:

Dear Mr. XYZ,

Thank you for your email and let me extend my personal apologies for our upset caused on the Ottawa Divorce forum.
                              To truly be "sincear" in the matter the conduct should have never been allowed in the first place.

RBC Insurance recognizes that divorce is a distressing event, as you pointed out, and by participating in the forum, we were seeking to provide support during life transitions to people who may have a genuine need for an discussion with a licensed insurance advisor.
                              Again, the information people are asking about regarding "life insurance" is in relation to a Family Law matter for which the Family Law Rules apply. I wasn't aware that a "licensed insurance advisor" was qualified to provide Legal Advice.

A quick search on the internet reveals *no* services offered by RBC Insurance or any other organization in the "RBC Group of Companies" that provides any financial support to divorcing or divorced individuals. Not even financial planning services for families living separate and apart.

Selling services (life insurance policies) is really not helping anyone.

Life insurance is an important consideration during the time of divorce, including changing beneficiaries, options with regard to pensions and the ability to maintain a particular family lifestyle after divorce.
                              1. Family life styles change after divorce. They don't "maintain". Maybe RBC Insurance should be giving out free copies of "Tug Of War" to all customers going through a divorce. This would be more beneficial to their clients than "selling" services on message boards.

2. Life Insurance is *not* an important consideration during divorce. The "best interests" of children are. The "equalization of net family property" is (assets and debts). Privacy and confidentiality of customers and families is.

3. Pensions are governed under the Rules. Not sure what "help" RBC Insurance can provide. Changing beneficiaries on a policy is best advised by a LAWYER and not a LICENSED INSURANCE BROKER.

It seems that our intended message was not conveyed in our post and that we have upset people with our presence on the forum, and for that I apologize.
                              The reply given by RBC Insurance as a whole is:

1. Empty in content.
                              2. Doesn't outline how RBC Insurance is going to change business practice and policy.
                              3. What RBC Insurance really can provide to support people going through divorce other than product sales.

Good Luck!
                              Tayken

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X