Ottawa Divorce .com Forums


User CP

New posts

Advertising

  Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law > Common Law Issues

Common Law Issues The law regarding common law relationships is different than in cases of divorce. Discuss the issues that affect unmarried couples here.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #31  
Old 05-03-2011, 02:14 PM
HammerDad HammerDad is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 3,932
HammerDad will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC-JMJ View Post
Thanks Hammer, thoughts on the rest?
I've said before what you should be doing, which is do what you have to do to either a) get her to pay her portion of the house and to get her to either a) buy you out of the house or b) force the sale of the house.

Personally, I would give notice that effective X date you are only paying your portion of the mortgage, debts and paying guideline child support. From there, she has to determine how she is to live. You've paid it for 17+ months, how long do you have to give her to get off her butt and start making her share of the contributions.
  #32  
Old 05-03-2011, 02:32 PM
MAC-JMJ MAC-JMJ is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 52
MAC-JMJ is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerDad View Post
I've said before what you should be doing, which is do what you have to do to either a) get her to pay her portion of the house and to get her to either a) buy you out of the house or b) force the sale of the house.

Personally, I would give notice that effective X date you are only paying your portion of the mortgage, debts and paying guideline child support. From there, she has to determine how she is to live. You've paid it for 17+ months, how long do you have to give her to get off her butt and start making her share of the contributions.
That is what I am saying, the only way for me to afford it plus tighten things up enough for her is to not pay my half of the mortgage and only pay 50% of the debts + full CS.

I was looking for your insight around this theory
  #33  
Old 05-03-2011, 10:47 PM
Rioe's Avatar
Rioe Rioe is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Ontario
Posts: 3,347
Rioe will become famous soon enough
Default

I wonder what would happen if you started paying her CS minus her half of the mortgage? Documented properly, it won't look like you are trying to avoid your CS obligation, and that way you can be assured of the full mortgage amount being paid to avoid any hit to your credit rating. This might encourage her to settle the house issue faster too, either buy you or put it on the market.
  #34  
Old 05-04-2011, 10:20 AM
MAC-JMJ MAC-JMJ is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 52
MAC-JMJ is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rioe View Post
I wonder what would happen if you started paying her CS minus her half of the mortgage? Documented properly, it won't look like you are trying to avoid your CS obligation, and that way you can be assured of the full mortgage amount being paid to avoid any hit to your credit rating. This might encourage her to settle the house issue faster too, either buy you or put it on the market.
Hi RIOE,

the problem that I am facing is that my mortgage for the month is $2020 and CS would be approx $1400. So even if I pay my half and subtract her half from the CS table she would still be able to easily maintain the monthly payments. Now giving her the $1400 and asking her to pay the $2020, that is a different story. I really have no other options and as the lawyer told me I allowed this to happen for the last 17 months, so it needs to end.
  #35  
Old 05-09-2011, 05:47 PM
get-your-game-on get-your-game-on is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 14
get-your-game-on is on a distinguished road
Default

Hello MAC-JMJ...I have been reading your story and wow do I feel for you. Word of advise..medation doesn't always work. If I was in your shoes, I would make her file for Child Care Subsidy for the daycare. As far as the home, I would have a order to force her to sell the house with your approval on everything.ie..listing agent, $ amount, time it would be listed..
Do you have a court order? If so, what is the date on it? Are you from Ont?
  #36  
Old 05-09-2011, 05:58 PM
MAC-JMJ MAC-JMJ is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 52
MAC-JMJ is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by get-your-game-on View Post
Hello MAC-JMJ...I have been reading your story and wow do I feel for you. Word of advise..medation doesn't always work. If I was in your shoes, I would make her file for Child Care Subsidy for the daycare. As far as the home, I would have a order to force her to sell the house with your approval on everything.ie..listing agent, $ amount, time it would be listed..
Do you have a court order? If so, what is the date on it? Are you from Ont?
Thanks for the response!

I definitely understand what others have mentioned about mediation as for it to truly work, both parties have to have taken all emotion out of things. I am in Ontario and when I went to get legal advice, I was basically told that because of the length of time that this situation has gone on (that I have allowed this to go on, from lawyer) even if a motion was filed, which they are minimum 3 months behind here, they would not see this as urgent and well as I was told, may not exactly happen the way I want it too. This is why I am looking for other options which is sad because I keep feeling this guilt since my kids live in that home.

I am hoping that I can give 30 days notice and just let her know I will be paying full child support only + 50% of debts as it is hard for me to go on with my life or get out of this negative financial situation that I am in.

I like the subsidy idea but I was told that she has recently gone back to work FT, so I am not sure if she would then qualify.

Thanks again for taking the time to post.
  #37  
Old 05-09-2011, 06:10 PM
get-your-game-on get-your-game-on is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 14
get-your-game-on is on a distinguished road
Default

trust me, she can file for subsidy and chances are she will get it. As far as someone telling you that it is to late or it the status quo, they need to stop giving you negative advise. You know the old saying, if you want something bad enough then go get it. same goes for your kids. My brother is in the same situation and I got him week about, no CS or SS. I went with him to his appointments to the lawyer office and told the lawyer what he wanted, not what the lawyer can do for him. This is your time..
Does it say in your order that you have to pay the house hold dept?
  #38  
Old 05-10-2011, 09:55 AM
MAC-JMJ MAC-JMJ is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 52
MAC-JMJ is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by get-your-game-on View Post
trust me, she can file for subsidy and chances are she will get it. As far as someone telling you that it is to late or it the status quo, they need to stop giving you negative advise. You know the old saying, if you want something bad enough then go get it. same goes for your kids. My brother is in the same situation and I got him week about, no CS or SS. I went with him to his appointments to the lawyer office and told the lawyer what he wanted, not what the lawyer can do for him. This is your time..
Does it say in your order that you have to pay the house hold dept?

No court order, we have just seperated and have verbally agreed to debts but she could not afford the mortgage so I have been paying full instead of CS (mortgage is $700 more) but I cannot keep this up. As for legal, too much retainer + court retainer for me to go after my kids
  #39  
Old 06-10-2011, 10:57 AM
MAC-JMJ MAC-JMJ is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 52
MAC-JMJ is on a distinguished road
Default

WOW, so I got served court documents yesterday. She is going for Sole custody, backdated CS + Spousal support retroactive from our date of seperation October 2009, Support for my 3 kids (which I have no problem paying) but she is also asking for support on her 16 year old who she already receives $600/month on. Exclusive possession of the home + sale of the home, all costs associated for this. For her Financial Summary she is using her now adjusted CTC because she is back to work on a short contract and stating that I switched my pay back in December + haven;t been following week end arrangements.

I am so FFFFFNNNNG mad right now. #1) She is causing on going financial problems that bth of us cannot afford.

#2) I have been paying the full mortgage + taxes + 50% of debt + most of the utilities till April 2011 where as now I pay the mortgage taxes + 50% of debt while she and my kids live in the home.

I sent an e-mail late May letting her know that as of June I would stop paying mortgage + taxes and pay my full CS time table amount (as I cannot keep living like this) Paying full CS is actually cheaper for me.

FML, what a greedy you know what. She is acting like we have millions of dollars here. Now I am forced to hire a lawyer and pay as well.

Can I stop this from going to court before hand if I start trying to do a separation agreement?

Am I going to get F'd over here? Sorry for the vent, this is just unreal how someone can feel so entitled. Please help.
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mediation & Domestic Violence Grace Domestic Violence 20 07-10-2018 04:35 PM
Agreed to the Settle but laywer didn't go by it..... Tank2 Divorce & Family Law 0 07-23-2011 07:00 PM
Open vs closed mediation Me_too Divorce & Family Law 7 05-28-2011 03:25 AM
Mediation chinyuk Divorce & Family Law 4 10-09-2008 09:56 AM
sent to mediation littleman Divorce & Family Law 73 11-27-2006 12:39 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:39 AM.