Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law > Common Law Issues

Common Law Issues The law regarding common law relationships is different than in cases of divorce. Discuss the issues that affect unmarried couples here.

Old 01-07-2014, 01:53 PM

Trapped is on a distinguished road

It bears noting that while I have clearly not made the smartest decisions in terms of man picking or allowing his name to go on the deed to a house I paid for, I refused to assume any of his debt or create any joint debt. The only thing we share is the joint account and that will be rectified today. There are no joint credit cards, loans, etc. with the exception of this house.
Old 01-07-2014, 01:53 PM

arabian will become famous soon enough

Change the insurance asap.
Call Rogers to verify your name is not on the ACCOUNT anywhere. When my ex and I split I got nailed with Rodgers bill. My ex had taken all the money and I THOUGHT the Rodgers Bill was just under the company so I didn't pay it (couldn't at the time). 7 months later I find out that my name was on the account as contact person. So I have an R9 notation on my credit score for that one.
Old 01-07-2014, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arabian View Post
Call Rogers to verify your name is not on the ACCOUNT anywhere. When my ex and I split I got nailed with Rodgers bill. My ex had taken all the money and I THOUGHT the Rodgers Bill was just under the company so I didn't pay it (couldn't at the time). 7 months later I find out that my name was on the account as contact person. So I have an R9 notation on my credit score for that one.
I am indeed listed as a contact as my cell phone was on this bill until december. I will call today and request that they remove me. Thank you!
Old 01-07-2014, 01:57 PM

Pursuinghappiness will become famous soon enough

Quote:
The only bill that is in his name is the Rogers bill, which includes home phone, cable, internet, and his cell. I have since removed my cell from this bill. I'm guessing it is perfectly reasonable to just stop paying this? I have no need for any of these things ATM and he can't afford to pay it. When he can no longer fill his days with texting/calling his GF or playing for hours on his xbox while chatting with his buddies, he may be more encouraged to leave.
Exactly. If you don't need it, cut it off immediately.

Before you do, you might want to make sure you take anything personal that's valuable or meaningful to you out of the home. You also may want to take pictures of the contents and condition of the home.

Quote:
Arabian, my car is in my name and his van in his name. The insurance is has both names however I pay for it.
Give him notice by email that you're going to stop paying and stop paying his insurance.

Anything else like this, follow the same rule.

Get all those joint accounts, CCs, or lines of credit closed and you might just want to inform your bank what's going on in case he tries to fraudulently open anything with your name on it.
Old 01-07-2014, 01:59 PM

FWB is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I've become nothing but a daycare provider, meal ticket,
This is what I was talking about in the general chat forum about some people out there just waiting to take advantage of people

Quote:
The only thing we share is the joint account and that will be rectified today.
I hope so
Quote:

I have since removed my cell from this bill. I'm guessing it is perfectly reasonable to just stop paying this?
Good Girl...Damn Straight it is

Quote:
I have no need for any of these things ATM and he can't afford to pay it.
Exactly...he can't afford it, he doesn't get it (there goes that entitlement crazy talk again)

Quote:
When he can no longer fill his days with texting/calling his GF or playing for hours on his xbox while chatting with his buddies, he may be more encouraged to leave.

Ah...one of those, sitting around playing XBOX.

Quote:
My man-picker is most definitely broken beyond repair.
You probably just have it in "Auto" mode...Have you tried using "Manual Focus"? (Think DSLR cameras here...some will say difficult, but you are in control)
Old 01-07-2014, 02:06 PM

Pursuinghappiness will become famous soon enough

Quote:
It bears noting that while I have clearly not made the smartest decisions in terms of man picking or allowing his name to go on the deed to a house I paid for, I refused to assume any of his debt or create any joint debt. The only thing we share is the joint account and that will be rectified today. There are no joint credit cards, loans, etc. with the exception of this house.
Glad to hear it. Really good that you didn't marry him either.

Advice for your next relationship. I'm interracial and there's an old popular R&B song that has the main lyrics "Ain't nuthin goin on but the rent. You've got to have a J-O-B, if you want to be with me..." The whole song is pretty funny. You might want to download it. At least you can have a good laugh.

Best wishes to you and your children...it will definitely get better soon.
Old 01-07-2014, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arabian View Post
I just spoke to a rep at Rogers and they told me that only the account holder can be held responsible for the account. I explained precisely the scenario that you mentioned and they told me no, that was not a risk to me. Not sure whether I can trust that or not but I will definitely keep an eye on it.
Old 01-07-2014, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pursuinghappiness View Post
Glad to hear it. Really good that you didn't marry him either.

Advice for your next relationship. I'm interracial and there's an old popular R&B song that has the main lyrics "Ain't nuthin goin on but the rent. You've got to have a J-O-B, if you want to be with me..." The whole song is pretty funny. You might want to download it. At least you can have a good laugh.

Best wishes to you and your children...it will definitely get better soon.
I am thankful every day that I have never made marriage a priority like some and inadvertently tied myself to someone like this in a way that would have given him the ability to take everything I worked for with the help of the law.

I can tell you that this whole experience has been a huge eye opener. I will never ever again allow my assets be up for grabs like this. I've spent too much time trying to be *nice* and trusting that people will do the right thing regardless of the circumstances. Just because I would do things in a just and fair fashion doesn't mean anyone else will. Lesson learned!

Thank you for the well wishes. I really hope I can extract myself from this mess with as little turmoil and financial impact as possible. Guess we shall soon see...
Old 01-07-2014, 02:33 PM

FB_ will become famous soon enough

So what are your expectations for a parenting plan with the kids?
Old 01-07-2014, 02:38 PM

arabian will become famous soon enough

Glad you checked with Rogers. My situation was different in that we had a business account and my name was on record as primary contact. I was told at the time that they would go after anyone who's name appeared on billing account.

Tags
common law, common law issues