Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law

Divorce & Family Law This forum is for discussing any of the legal issues involved in your divorce.

Old 10-08-2013, 06:20 PM

BitHunter is on a distinguished road
Default OCL - I'm going to throw up :(

Today was the disclosure meeting. Everything looked fine and seemed to go to the right direction - until the end. Out of the blue the OCL assessor doesn't recommend changing the custody and doesn't recommend changing the access significantly. I'm still shell shocked. The report itself will be issued in 4 weeks. I can't figure out how she got to these conclusions, when it seemed she understood the brutal parental alienation d10 is going through and it seemed she agreed that it can be prevented only if I have sole custody and it seemed she agreed that d10 should spend more time with me.
Beautiful.
Old 10-08-2013, 06:43 PM

FB_ will become famous soon enough

Sorry to hear that.

Hopefully the report will shed some insight and help decide where you go from here.
Old 10-08-2013, 06:47 PM

DontGiveUp is on a distinguished road

Sorry to hear that but not surprised from what I am learning. The OCL is as biased and inept as CAS and some of these Family Court judges. It's you're right it's proven but sorry... Status Quo
Old 10-08-2013, 06:55 PM

Well, the OCL was ordered because the status quo doesn't work. I'm completely puzzled.
When the assessor was assigned, I searcher her in CANLII, and I didn't have a good feeling, as I found only one case with her. She was disgustingly biased, and the judge dismissed her recommendations. But it would be an uphill battle, and I hate that.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:05 PM

DontGiveUp is on a distinguished road

I'm in the same boat. I'm trying to get the Status Quo changed because it allows for conduct that creates conflict for my children. In my case I wanted an assessor appointed by they appointed the children a lawyer which is even worse. Much less I can do about a biased lawyer, I can't put him on the stand.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:22 PM

sunnyday123 is on a distinguished road

The OCL is paid for nothing. They were suppposed to submit a report before my trial, they didn't. Then, the assessor showed up at the trial as a witness for the other party, she was just giving "impressions", no notes, nothing. I still don't understand why these social workers are paid...
Old 10-08-2013, 08:04 PM

ByMyself is an unknown quantity at this point

To look at the positive side... if the OCL assessor doesn't do a thorough job, and makes recommendations that don't coincide with the facts- you at least have a fighting chance. It will be easier to have a poorly done report set aside, than to fight a carefully thought out and well-supported one. Check out WorkingDad's posts and his case on CanLii. Stay positive and good luck!
Old 10-08-2013, 08:30 PM

mcdreamy is on a distinguished road

oh I'm sorry BH, you must be gutted.

As others have said, wait until the written report is available to review. It works for you that her one review/recommendation you've found on Canlii was dismissed -- use that! You can't give up now.
Old 10-08-2013, 08:50 PM

standing on the sidelines is on a distinguished road

Look at the silver lining like the other posters have stated. If the person has a strong opinion then you may be able to work with that and have it work for you instead of against you. Easier to tear down someone who is rigid vs someone who is more on the fence.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:52 PM

Thanks for the support!
Actually what's left for me is still more than I had before, as the idiot recommended 2 more days around the weekend + more vacation days + free communication with D10. (I started from 4 hours access once a month, now I have every second weekend + some summer vacation)