Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law > Common Law Issues

Common Law Issues The law regarding common law relationships is different than in cases of divorce. Discuss the issues that affect unmarried couples here.

Old 06-25-2013, 01:06 AM

phaydra is on a distinguished road

i just read that, thank you. but it doesn't clearly address our situation because this is referring to common law spouses where only one spouse is on title. My ex is not only on on title, but he's on the mortgage too.
Old 06-25-2013, 01:45 AM

HappyDays is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaydra View Post
I can show that the money went straight to the house, and that i paid the mortgage every month, he never did. but because he put money and work into the house he's claiming half. should i just keep demanding the hocse be transferred to my name only, because i was the only one paying the mortgage for the house?
With the proof you may be able to claim your inheritance money back and same for him with his inheritance money.

You paying mortgage is just part of the joys of living together, as would his handyman work.

Rest of the equity should be split 50/50.

That would deal with the house, then you have to figure something out for spousal. Go with the lower amount for least time, figure out a lump sum offer and give him the extra equity.

Tags
common law issues, disability, home