Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law > Common Law Issues

Common Law Issues The law regarding common law relationships is different than in cases of divorce. Discuss the issues that affect unmarried couples here.

Closed Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 12:50 AM

KanataKathy is on a distinguished road

Have the house appraised. Offer her half of the increase in the value of the house.

http://www.ottawadivorce.com/forum/f...nts-half-7302/
Old 01-08-2011, 02:11 AM

NoDeadbeats is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by KanataKathy View Post
Have the house appraised. Offer her half of the increase in the value of the house.

http://www.ottawadivorce.com/forum/f...nts-half-7302/

This is what we agreed upon when we signed, she "needed" to be on the deed as she had been removed from her two previous home situations (Before we met). She had complained that they had locked her out and her belongings in so she needed peace of mind that I couldn't theoretically steal anything like the others had allegedly. I was working for a company that went bankrupt and landed a contract for three months to keep us alive for six while I searched for work, as her income was UI. This contract was a very high profile project that started a week after the bankruptcy and it paid... well. It lasted a year longer than the original date and she wants a cut of that. The cut is not so good when all the expenses are figured out anyway.

I offered her 3 months of her living expenses and some extra for anything else. I also agreed that anything that was hers she can keep as well as to negotiate a fair division of anything we purchased together.

She is going to lie to the courts that she lived at my parents house when ours was being built, because she wants the common la spousal support so she doesn't need to work for two years. All along she was staying at an appartment in another city. What can happens if that occurs?
Old 01-08-2011, 03:11 AM

blinkandimgone is a jewel in the roughblinkandimgone is a jewel in the roughblinkandimgone is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoDeadbeats View Post
She has no job, and I let her quit to go to school a year ago, but she never bothered to sign up, and has been living free since then.
You 'let' her? How noble of you!
Old 01-08-2011, 03:18 AM

logicalvelocity has a spectacular aura aboutlogicalvelocity has a spectacular aura aboutlogicalvelocity has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Yahoo to logicalvelocity

Mr. NoDeadbeats,

What citizenship are you? Just curious.
Old 01-08-2011, 11:28 AM

dadtotheend will become famous soon enoughdadtotheend will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkandimgone View Post
You 'let' her? How noble of you!
Exactly what I was thinking.

You're a sucker for putting her on title. And you're too stupid to go to the bank and get copies of old bank statements proving the mortgage payments?

No magic bullet here unresourceful guy.
Old 01-08-2011, 01:16 PM

Thank you for all the feedback, positive and negative. I have learned much about how to proceed. Best regards.
Old 01-08-2011, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadtotheend View Post
Exactly what I was thinking.

You're a sucker for putting her on title. And you're too stupid to go to the bank and get copies of old bank statements proving the mortgage payments?

No magic bullet here unresourceful guy.
I have all the copies of all reciepts for everything I have purchased greater than $1.00 since 2008.
Old 01-08-2011, 01:27 PM

logicalvelocity has a spectacular aura aboutlogicalvelocity has a spectacular aura aboutlogicalvelocity has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Yahoo to logicalvelocity

I'm just wondering if you did the math in your plan to proceed considering you're out of country.
Closed Thread