X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's debate this topic - Number 3

Hey guys

Okay here is a hard one, how would you describe a parent?

Despite the laws... and not using yoru spouse as an example... how would you describe a good parent?

Foremost Loves the child and honestly looks after the child's best interests .

A good teacher, a good leader, a good listener , being involved in their lives and their interests.

Patience They nurture their child's self esteem and self worth by encouraging them to do their best in life. Has expectations of the kid that are high but reasonable at the same time. Being consistent with rules and discipline. Practice what you preach.

Comment

Show your child the kind of person you want them to be, by being that person. Set the example for them.

Comment

We all learn from our mistakes, sometimes we think were right without really thinging things out. I believe our children need to be taught right from worng and have our support throught thier lives.
        Unfortuntely, most of us here are going thorugh a divorce, this should not stop any of us from loving our children any less. Everyday I talk to may daughter and my son and tell them how much I love them dearly.
        Life is a circle, we are born, grow up, have a family, support our family and than when God calls we take his hand and leave. Iy is then up to our sons and dughter to continue the circle of life.
        My only wish is that my children grow up healthy, free from violence, and hopefully a happy marriage.

Comment

A parent is someone who goes above and beyond providing the basic nessesities (that includes love as well as shelter and food) . A good parent is a good listener, is a friend, but is heavy handed and lays down the law when it is needed. A parent has a childs respect as well as love and understanding. A parent lets their child fall down and learn somethings the hard way. A parent remembers what it's like to BE a kid through all it's stages, and teaches them how to be good people.

Comment

Some who provides and allows the child to grow.
            Not someone who tries to shape the child into a mould.

Freedom with a certain amount of discipline = respect.

Comment

I'm with Julie on that one. I give my little guy lots and lots of freedom. The only real boundaries are important ones dealing with his safety, health, not hurting others, etc.

It's amazing what kids can do when given the freedom to do what they want.

Also, it's important to provide a stimulating environment (even the right TV shows can be stimulating).
              Ottawa Divorce

Comment

Hey guys:

I don't know I gave my two LOADS of Freedom - we don't have a computer at home - we don't even have call display on the phone - and if you were bored ... go clean your room.... omg do I sound like YOUR mother... ha ha ha cause I know I sound like mine.... in the summer I would send the kids out side to play... o they would get sooo mad at me for "making" them play outside. Oh and my son when he was 7 wanted the N64 so he saved up his "pennies" for two years to buy it or to this day we still would not have it...

okay gotta go bye

Comment

Jeff,

Don't know how old your son is, but you may want to consider enrolling your child in a Montessori program, instead of daycare or nursery school. The Montessori beliefs are similar to what you and Julie posted but in an educational way.

Comment

That's funny Grace - I've just done that. He'll be turning 3 in the summer and starting at Montessori in September.
                    Ottawa Divorce

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                    Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                    Working...
                    X