This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• reseve judgement?

Anyone had a motion and the Judge "reserve judgment"? Why do they do this and how long before an order is made?

Judges do this so they can review and think more on what they are going to order. I called the filing office of the court after 5 days and asked them if it had come through, and then went to pick it up.

Comment

Reserved Judgment means "I'm going to think about it" - it shouldn't take too too long. Mine did - but that's not what usually happens. The judge has to review and reference other cases similar to yours and in his/her "decision" will explain any formulas, calculations, definitions etc for that particular ruling. Definitely give it a few weeks before you do anything. If you have a lawyer, it is he/she who should address any matters w/the other party's counsel. If you do not have one, then the Courthouse can advise you of the name and contact # for the Judge's secretary. It is not recommended to attempt to communicate with the Judge directly. While they review your matter, they are "seized of the case" and at the end of the day, while they can't take Forever to make a ruling, they can take their sweet time and there's little that can be done. I'd be very surprised if you are left waiting for too long. Good Luck!

Comment

Originally posted by hadenough View Post
        Reserved Judgment means "I'm going to think about it" - it shouldn't take too too long. Mine did - but that's not what usually happens. The judge has to review and reference other cases similar to yours and in his/her "decision" will explain any formulas, calculations, definitions etc for that particular ruling. Definitely give it a few weeks before you do anything. If you have a lawyer, it is he/she who should address any matters w/the other party's counsel. If you do not have one, then the Courthouse can advise you of the name and contact # for the Judge's secretary. It is not recommended to attempt to communicate with the Judge directly. While they review your matter, they are "seized of the case" and at the end of the day, while they can't take Forever to make a ruling, they can take their sweet time and there's little that can be done. I'd be very surprised if you are left waiting for too long. Good Luck!
        How long did it take?

Comment

Waay too long. Just over 5 months which is insane. That is definitely NOT the norm.

Comment

Waay too long. Just over 5 months which is insane. That is definitely NOT the norm.
            Holy smokes.

Comment

Was brutal. The waiting. Total torture and another lesson in how unjust our "justice" system can be. I was not left with much confidence in our family court system.

Comment

Was brutal. The waiting. Total torture and another lesson in how unjust our "justice" system can be. I was not left with much confidence in our family court system.
                What court is this if you don't mind me asking? 5 months is brutal.

Comment

Without saying the exact court, I will say that it was Provincial Court (OCJ) and in a Large Municipality. Trial was re: one single issue. Certainly, it wasn't rocket science. I know that my delay was absolutely not the norm: but it's rather frightening that such a delay is possible. Justice delayed is justice denied.

Comment

Without saying the exact court, I will say that it was Provincial Court (OCJ) and in a Large Municipality. Trial was re: one single issue. Certainly, it wasn't rocket science. I know that my delay was absolutely not the norm: but it's rather frightening that such a delay is possible. Justice delayed is justice denied.

Was this on a decision for a trial or a motion? Still 5 weeks is ridiculous. Someone forgot his ruling I bet.

Comment

5 months. Not 5 wks. Months. Was for trial. And no- they didn't "forget" - I asked after it, a couple of times. Definitely not "forgotten." Was just total bS (the delay)

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                      Working...
                      X