Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trial Scheduling Conference

Hi all,

I have run out of funds for lawyers as they spent $80,000 writing e-mails and doing a couple of motions. I'm also unhappy with the way my lawyer has handled the case for the past 1.5 years and thinking of switching

Now we're headed to a Trial scheduling conference to book trial dates. The primary issue is parenting time/custody/access.

How should I proceed? I do not want to self-represent but I also do not have funds as I am paying child support and alimony and she's pushing for a trial in order to keep the child support money to keep going.

Any tips/ideas?

Make a reasonable offer to settle. Make it a severable offer which will increase the odds that at least some of your issues can be settled and that in and of itself will decrease costs. You need to make the offer attractive to the other party. Don’t be worried about having to keep paying child support be worried about having to spend another 80,000 or more in legal fees. At least when you are paying child support YOUR children benefit from the money. If you have to pay more legal fees, the lawyer’s children benefit from your money.
    Last edited by Stillbreathing; 03-04-2021, 01:05 AM.

Comment

Has your criminal case finished yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Criminal hasn't finished yet but the trial scheduling is a month or so after Criminal is done.

Thanks again for ur responses. I'll keep you updated as it progresses.

Comment

Originally posted by helenj View Post
          Criminal hasn't finished yet but the trial scheduling is a month or so after Criminal is done.

Thanks again for ur responses. I'll keep you updated as it progresses.

Your case is complicated by a criminal case as well as you pushing for things before that case is over. 80 grand is not unreasonable for this and considering you’re at trial less than two years later, you came off pretty good. Self repping in a case like this may be a terrible idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
          Working...
          X