This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Story

I'll tell the story from the other side of things. I was married with 2 kids. Out of nowhere was told that things weren't working anymore and that I had to leave and we needed a "break." That turned into forever. I was a hard worker and provided a lot of material things for my family in a short time and built up quite a debt load along the way. I was told that my ex would keep the house and I was to take the brand new truck we had. We had loans together, both of our credit cards were near maxed. Once split, I had to borrow money off of my parents to feed my kids, I was barely eating from all the stress of being seperated from my kids and lost 20lbs in 3 weeks. (I'm 5'6" and only weighed about 155lbs when we seperated) My ex expected me to carry the debt load from the marriage. I had to move back in with my parents. I offered my ex a reasonable amount of child support based on my means to survive, and she refused and took me to court for full tabled amount, which turned out to be $952 a month. I offered her $600. I asked her repeatedly to go to the bank to split our loan up so I could try and get my own place, talking to deaf ears. Finally I had no choice but to declare bankruptcy. I lost my new truck, my boat, she essentially stole everything I bought for the house. Luckily, we sold the house 4 months before I filed. Upon filing, she changed her case and was now filing for ss in the sum of $1000 a month. Meaning that between cs and ss I would've had to pay $2000/month, when I only make $3300/month. She didn't follow up on it, and it was eventually dropped in our settlement. This is what I went through, and it's my responsibility to pay for my portion of my children's formal education. That's my story.

Crispy,

I have a complete understanding of your situation. It is horrible and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. Sadly, I know many people that have had similar or worse situations and may take years to recover from the realms.

Because you can't turn back the past, the only thing you can do is look to the future.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
    Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
    Working...
    X