This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Globe and Mail column on false allegations

Here's an interesting column re: false allegations of abuse...

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...ifeFamily/home

Hopefully with more media attention bringing false allegations to light, individuals will be less likely to use this means of manipulation.

My ex has pulled this in the forms she has filed with the courts. It should be an interesting first case conference.

Comment

Yes, I recall you mentioning something to that effect on the other thread. Is there a way you can have the statements declared false in the Family Court (ie. have them stricken from the affidavits) and then use this to pursue charges of slander? I wonder what the repercussions are for people making these false allegations - this wasn't addressed in the article.

Comment

Ultimately, I don't want to spend a ton of time and money quibbling about her baseless accusations unless I have to. She made the claims, I adamantly denied them, and now we have to see what kind of bearing they have on the case. Obviously, if the judge is going to weigh these factors in his/her decision, then they will have to be sorted out somehow.

She has absolutely no proof of any abuse and her story falls apart under even the most cursory logical examination, but in the legal system you never know.

I'm not going to bother suing her libel/slander at this point. Firstly, any money I take from her comes out of my children's mouths and secondly, all it's going to do is prolong my legal entaglements with her. Any amount I would gain in a civil suit is easily dwarfed by the peace of mind I would have by simply having all this is behind me.

Comment

I am going through the same thing, except mine has a twist to it. My ex is telling people he wants to sue me for libel and slander, yet it is he who is lying in court! Anyone else dealing with that? Anyone think that he is just trying to protect his ego and has no real intentions just bloewing hot air? I am so stressed over this. He seams so caught up in his anger that he does not see how his actions are affecting me, which affects our child via my stress. I only said one thing which "could" constitute liabel. I wrote on my FB a long time ago "if you wish to believe his lies, then delete me as a friend, your no friend of mine" I was Childish, I know. From what I read, this could not be used as slander since it does not state a name, and it did not make him loose his job, status etc... I am worried, I cant afford another court battle, or stress from it. Advice, suggestions, etc....???? Or he could be wanting to sue me for my claims of abuse (mental, emotional towards me and the kids) Which are all true!!! hes never liked eing shown in a bad light and has always "tried" to look perfect... A little narcissistic I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by Fair4All View Post
            Hopefully with more media attention bringing false allegations to light, individuals will be less likely to use this means of manipulation.
            Hopefully, but not likely.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
            Working...
            X