leaving a child out in the cold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• leaving a child out in the cold

Non custodial parent leaves a 10 year old autistic child at 8:10 am outside the school (-8c, snow), no other adult supervision is available and the school doors are locked until 8:57 AM. Child isn't even properly dressed (no hat, no snow pants, no winter boots, no scarf, but did have the winter jacket) and later on complained of being cold and feet freezing etc.

NCP won't change this behavior despite repeated documented reminders, what could be done?

Originally posted by sahibjee View Post
    Non custodial parent leaves a 10 year old autistic child at 8:10 am outside the school (-8c, snow)

How do you know?

Comment

The school should have called CAS. I would follow up with the school to verify the time the child was dropped off without supervision (almost all school have security cameras now) and request they follow up and keep you informed. We had -8 today too and I didn’t bother with snow pants either. The clothing is not as much of a concern as the lack of supervision as most schools are very hardline about children being at school before supervision due to liability.

Comment

Originally posted by tilt View Post
        The school should have called CAS. I would follow up with the school to verify the time the child was dropped off without supervision (almost all school have security cameras now) and request they follow up and keep you informed. We had -8 today too and I didn’t bother with snow pants either. The clothing is not as much of a concern as the lack of supervision as most schools are very hardline about children being at school before supervision due to liability.

I agree with this... I have a friend who’s daughter was burnt just before school started... she wasn’t allowed to be in the sun... which meant her mom had to drive her to school instead of her walking... the mom runs an in home daycare so she had to be back for 8:30am and would drop her daughter (11) off at 8:15... after a week, despite knowing the situation the school told her that her daughter could not be at the school before 8:40am as that’s when supervision started. If your child is being dropped off outside of supervision time, have the school address this with the other parent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by tilt View Post
          most schools are very hardline about children being at school before supervision due to liability.

At my kid's school the yard is teeming with children at 8:40, and supervision doesn't start until 8:50. A 10 year old kid is in grade 4, which means that they are allowed to walk home alone, and be unsupervised.

There are autism issues here perhaps, but that is more of a "parent" problem than a "school" problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Berner_Faith View Post
            I agree with this... I have a friend who’s daughter was burnt just before school started... she wasn’t allowed to be in the sun... which meant her mom had to drive her to school instead of her walking... the mom runs an in home daycare so she had to be back for 8:30am and would drop her daughter (11) off at 8:15... after a week, despite knowing the situation the school told her that her daughter could not be at the school before 8:40am as that’s when supervision started. If your child is being dropped off outside of supervision time, have the school address this with the other parent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thats great to know, next time I will just ask school to check security cameras. Thanks folks!

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
            Working...
            X