This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• overpayment of child support

in Dec of 2007 my husband provided his ex with post dated cheques for the year 2008 to what he thought would be around the amount he would be making on his T4..he just got his T4 and it was way under what he thought..he has overpaid her $45/month more..he thought that what he might do is leave it until next year and then recalculate again taking off the $45/month then instead of doing it now...I said why don't you wait until the end of the year and then take the whole sum of the overpayment off with a copy of his T4..(oops she doesn't believe in copies of T4's she thinks they are tampered with) but he would rather see her with a reduction next year to lower the monthly amount he has to pay her..

Knowing absolutely nothing about how this situation is viewed in the courts, why not just make out new cheques for the proper amount and exchange them for old ones?

If the ex won't cooperate, he can put a stop payment on the old ones at the bank. (I would think the bank might be willing to do that for a reduced fee if they are doing 11-12 cheques at once).

Regarding the T4, give her one of the original copies. The CRA gets a copy directly from the employer. With the arrival of electronic filing, having the original T4 is not that important.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
    Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
    Working...
    X