Sale of property.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sale of property.

I am going though divorce and am trying to sell our property. My ex insists on using her realtor to protect her. I really don't want her realtor because she is a realtor for her side of the family business. It has come to light through talk in town that she already has an offer from a friend of hers . I am being forced into something I don't feel is right. Should I have my lawyer contest this and have the judge appoint a realtor. She is out to disagree with anything I want.

Originally posted by thisisunreal View Post
    I am going though divorce and am trying to sell our property. My ex insists on using her realtor to protect her. I really don't want her realtor because she is a realtor for her side of the family business. It has come to light through talk in town that she already has an offer from a friend of hers . I am being forced into something I don't feel is right. Should I have my lawyer contest this and have the judge appoint a realtor. She is out to disagree with anything I want.
    Is the offer fair?

How much will you spend getting another realtor through court?

Comment

sale of property.

She has on idea on what the property is worth. Her agent that she wants to use works with her family and I don't trust any of them. Her friend's offer is a low ball because he just wants the land. When we're talking at least $200,000 in price difference, I think that I need to have a say in it. If we got an offer of full listing price from someone I know, she will turn it down for sure. She is out to screw me over big time. Those words are from my lawyer

Comment

Is this because you are angry and are tired of your ex getting things her way, or is this because the sale to the friend through the family realtor would cause you to receive less than the fair value of the property?

Comment

sale of property.

I fear that she is going to try and force me to take the first offer. Like I said there is $200 000 in price difference. There would be a bidding war when it is listed. I just want a realtor to protect my interest. The bitterness and anger are her nit me.I want this over

Comment

Some realtors will provide a free real estate "appraisal". Could you go that route, so you have an idea of what place is worth, from a "neutral" realtor? I had one do this on my house once, and it didn't cost anything, and they provided a "letter" stating their deemed appraisal value to me.

Do you have solid evidence of what your property is worth? Does MLS show similar listings going for the price, you think it's worth?

I would think she wants it over and done with too, and probably wants to make sure she also gets a fair value for house, so I doubt she will accept a lower offer, that doesn't make sense, if it means she won't get as much money herself?

If the offer is very unfair, or doesn't make financial sense, and doesn't line up with similar properties, you don't have to accept it.
            Last edited by dad2bandm; 11-29-2013, 10:02 AM. Reason: Addendum.

Comment

I suggest that you hire the services of a professional home appraiser. In light of what you are saying about difference in price (200,000) that's a big gap.

An appraisal would cost you about $500 and is money well spent since any realtor you chose - yours or hers - would have to list the home within that price range. It would put your mind at ease.

Comment

A professional appraisal is different and more accurate than one done by a real estate agent, too.

Comment

You can also just ask some OTHER agents to give you estimates a long with the appraisal. No reason to get forced into a lowball offer of that magnitude

Comment

I'm not even sure the OP's worries, are warranted. There isn't enough info to know.

Nobody has to sell their house or take an offer, if somebody does indeed "lowball" them.

Like I said, I'm not even sure why OP's ex would want to take a "lowball offer" either, as it would mean less money for her, and I can't see a "in cahoots real estate agent" being onboard with that either, as it would mean less commision for them (substantially less commision, if what the OP says, is actually true).

It seems to be a lot of worry, over nothing.

Comment

A proper appraisal by an appraiser is always the best route to go when it comes to Sep/Div. A R/E agent provides a MVA (market value assessment.) A proper appraisal is far more in-depth/accurate and the appraiser does not have an interest in the property. R/E agents are like sharks. A quick sale means a nice commission for them, with little effort put in (some of the time.) Just my opinion, but it seems that 'these days' anyone can pass the test and become a r/e agent.

Comment

Originally posted by hadenough View Post
                        A proper appraisal by an appraiser is always the best route to go when it comes to Sep/Div. A R/E agent provides a MVA (market value assessment.)...
                        If OP's statements are valid, that there is such a discrepancy in value/pricing, between the two parties, this is the best route.

Comment

Originally posted by dad2bandm View Post
                          If OP's statements are valid, that there is such a discrepancy in value/pricing, between the two parties, this is the best route.
                          Completely agree. Get an appraiser, not a realtor, to estimate the value of the property. Better yet, get two or three appraisals and take the average. This is the fairest way to determine what the property is worth and to establish a "floor" price that all offers to purchase would have to exceed.

If you are anticipating struggles with your ex over the division of the property, this is the best way to establish an objective, fair value.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                          Working...
                          X