Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Financial Issues

Financial Issues This forum is for discussing any of the financial issues involved in your divorce.

Old 09-06-2019, 08:20 PM

nofrills is on a distinguished road
Default CRA Eligible Dependant Credit

Hi again.
just my luck, I just received a new request from the CRA regarding:

-Eligible Dependent credit

As an FYI, this is the 3rd request from the CRA in the 3 years I have been separated/divorced. First time they wanted to me to prove my child care expenses and the second time they want to know the date when my ex and i stopped living together. I got a pass both times.

Now, back to the Eligible Dependent Credit.

I've been reading and it sounds like they've ammended their view on how they determine if you can claim.

I share custody and our agreement says

To satisfy each party's obligation: Father will pay Mother a set off amount z, based on a support payment of x from father to mother and a support payment of y from mother to father.

When drafting up the agreement with lawyers in 2016, we followed the CRA guidlines. From what i'm reading now, as of 2018 because there is a single payment, I am no longer eligible to get the eligible dependent credit?

Has anyone had to deal with this recently or any experience with this?

help. thank you