Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paralegals in Family Law

Report recommends paralegals provide services in some family law matters

I know this has been discussed for the past ten years or so, of not longer. But thought this report could get interesting.

https://www.attorneygeneral.jus.gov....nsultation.php

Comment

Family lawyers have voiced concerns that they could be pushed out of the market if paralegals are given the right to provide legal services in any part of family law.
      Sadly, for that reason alone, I don't expect to see paralegals in the family law courtrooms any time soon.

Comment

Agreed Janus, that's my fear. The lawyers fear, a piece of their pie may go missing....

Through my case, I've seen really good lawyers that are unattainable because they are so in demand. And then the greedy ones. No middle of the road ones... Then you think, well now what. And your back to this question and answer.

Comment

The problem with FL is that it can explode into an eruption of stupidity that requires lawyers at times.

But, one has to consider... what is better? An unrepresented litigant or one at least represented by a paralegal. We have arrived at that problem.

I don't see lawyers losing any business. I just see paralegals filling the huge gap of the vast amount of people who are already unrepresented.

"Limited Representation" is better than none.

Comment

I plan to reply to this report.

Of course it misses the point of why we have this problem in the first place which is most lawyers and judges are completely incompetent.

So is bringing in cheaper incompetents better than the expensive incompetents that are already there? Sure, but it doesn't solve the root cause of the problem.

I've outlined this problem to lawyers and law professors and surprisingly some of them are actually engaging in dialogue with me and agree with me.

Comment

Where is the like button? Couldn't agree with you more Desperate_Dad!

Comment

just adds another overhead in my opinion.. we can't just be throwing more buddies at the problem..

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                Working...
                X