This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What about Pensions and RRSP's

I am currently in a long term common law realtionship of 14 years. 2years ago, he decided he wanted to join the RCMP so I supported him and left my job of 19 years to be with him. After having been in our new home now for 1 1/2 years I have discovered that he is having an affair. I have a son, 17, from a previous relationship, who is in his last year of high school so moving back home is not an option yet, not until he graduates. I understand that everything I bought, I leave with and same for him. What's in my name is mine including any bank accounts or debts. My question is this...does that also include my pension and my RRSP's? Is he entitled to any of those even though they are in my name only?? I would appreciate any feedback you can give me on this...Thanks!!

In a common law relationship whatever is on your name is yours. this includes the spousal RRSP account too.
    The regular RRSP if it is on your name, you contributed to it, it is yours.
    The spousal RRSP if it is on his name, it is his, even if you contributed to it.

Comment

Can he go after my pension??

Comment

if it is on your name, then no, it is your. if it is on his name, then it is his. this is one difference between common-law relationship and marriage. In common-law relationship there is no "equalization"

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X