FRO question about updating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FRO question about updating

Who is responsible for updating change of addresses? I made an inquiry today about which address fro has regarding the payor and the agent refused to provide me with what is currently on file. Reason being they were suppose to forward a letter to my ex and it's been months and after thinking that the issue was resolved, I get slapped with a motion. I didn't ask her to provide me an address but to verify where the letter went. I provided them with both addresses but they refused to confirm. I also asked for a copy of the letter or something stating what they were doing with our case and again she refused to answer. Said she will speak to her supervisor tomorrow. And she spoke no English and hard to understand.

You want FRO to provide you with your ex's mailing address?

It is possible that such a disclosure is not within their mandate

Comment

Maintenance Enforcement programs generally operate simply as a big collection agent that only "receives" information rather than providing it. You give them information so that they can collect money on your behalf. They do not give you information so you can do your own collection.

These programs are funded by your provincial government. I believe it is unlawful for municipal, provincial or federal governments to give out personal information to anyone.

Comment

I have my ex's address but since we signed with fro years ago has since moved. A letter was going out from fro to my ex the payor regarding an adjustment. But seeing my ex has not received the info hense the motion, I wanted to know if they had the correct new address.
        And my question again is who's responsible for updating the info?
        I checked the website (should have checked before I posted) an it states that fro should be contacted with new info of payors address, phone number, selling and buying property and so forth.
        I just wanted to know what address was on file.
        Is it just me then thinking that this is alittle backwards? I can provide the address, phone number, buying and selling property but can't verify what is the current mailing address even if I provide the address a simple correct or incorrect answer would do.

Comment

Yes you are correct. My ex is slimy. He has moved several times since our divorce. Any time I happen to get documents indicating his new address (purely by oversight on the part of his shitty lawyer) I let MEP know. One collection officer did indicate to me that ex had not informed them that he had moved (a big no-no I'm told). I remember asking the collection officer to verify his address with the address I had given them. All he would say was "don't worry... he's not living close to you." They would neither confirm nor deny the address I had given them.

If your ex has a lawyer you are supposed to direct everything through the lawyer on record.

Some ex's are psycho and like to stalk and/or can't let go. My ex's g/f is like that. Just last month my son saw the g/f driving through our condo complex. My ex and his g/f don't live in the same city so this was no coincidence. She used to stalk my son at his place of employment (he had to quit his job to get away from her). Creepy or what? Some people just can't let go. I guess it gives them some sort of feeling of power.

Comment

I should add that on the MEP website in Alberta it clearly states that it is the responsibility of the debtor to report any change of information (address, employer, etc.). The website is online accessible and creditors are encouraged to enter in any new information.

Comment

[QUOTE=arabian;138128]

If your ex has a lawyer you are supposed to direct everything through the lawyer on record.

He does and I haven't bothered to send the lawyer anything regarding emails etc. I'm not sure what u ment by I'm suppose to send everything directly thru his lawyer.

Comment

Perhaps you need to give FRO the name of his lawyer. Not sure if that will help. I do know FRO does not have to give you any information whatsoever.

I might have misunderstood your initial post. I assumed the matter you were wishing to contact your ex about had something to do with your support or divorce. If it is purely a matter between FRO and your ex then it will ultimately be up to FRO to contact him.

Am I correct in assuming that you would like some sort of documentation from FRO to prove that he ignored their letters? That would be handy for sure. I don't know if they provide that sort of information.

Comment

It has to do with orders and support payments. I have the current address of my ex and new court papers with the same address documented.
                  All I wanted to confirm is weither they were informed of his new address and where did a letter they were sending him go due to the motion that I was served and knowing how slow they work have no back up documents that the matter was being attended to by fro.

Comment

Quite frustrating for you for sure. What I wouldn't give to know what MEP had documented about my ex!

I don't know how FRO works in Ontario nor do I know if you have a regular individual or case worker that you are assigned to. If you do then perhaps they would be willing to write you a note.

In Alberta MEP takes a rather neutral position and will not involve themselves in any way with ongoing litigation. It's a big machine. They merely act on information provided to them period.

Recently in court my ex's lawyer asked if justice could stop the collection action/license suspension if/when my ex decides not to pay SS. The judge yawned, smiled and looked at my lawyer and said "do I have that ability?" Room was silent for a while and the judge merely stated "request denied" to ex's lawyer.

This indicated to me that once matters go for collection, the judge will not intervene unless there is a material change of circumstance. In other words, they don't seem to want to get involved with baby-sitting deadbeats.

Hope you can find some way to get documentation you require.

Comment

Thanks, I understand their position, I'm not looking to get his address from them, I already have it and been there for pick ups etc. I have fresh court papers with his current address.
                      It's frustrating because I was informed by them that they were dealing with the matter but have no documentation to present either the court or the lawyer and the ex.... especially If the current address is not on file and the letter got mailed to their old address.

Comment

Yes very frustrating. The best you can do is probably fax documentation of his current address in a letter and ask that they ensure records are changed. All you can say to court is that FRO has the mandate to mail him documents... out of your control. Judges know the process is slow as they have to deal with it on a daily basis. They would know you are powerless to provide 'proof' of anything that FRO is supposed to do.

Hope things work out for you.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                        Working...
                        X