Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Serving form 8A( application for divorce)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Serving form 8A( application for divorce)

Form 8A requires "special service" to be completed. One of the methods is sending off a copy of the application along with a form 6(acknowledgement of service). Can I mail this myself as the applicant, or must I have a server mail this?

Best Regards!
    C

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Registered mail.

Comment

You can mail it yourself in special service, yes. As the previous poster suggested, do it registered mail.

Comment

Registered mail is not a recognized form of special service under the Family Law Rules.

If they send back the Acknowledgment, then it doesn’t matter how they got it.

Comment

Originally posted by Kinso View Post
          Registered mail is not a recognized form of special service under the Family Law Rules.

If they send back the Acknowledgment, then it doesn’t matter how they got it.
          How is it not recognized?
          This is from https://www.attorneygeneral.jus.gov....fc/part_6.html

Special service includes serving a document by one of the following methods:

Leaving a copy with the person who is being served.
          Leaving a copy with the person’s lawyer of record in the case, or with a lawyer who accepts service in writing on a copy of the document.
          Mailing a copy of the document along with Form 6: Acknowledgement of Service, which the person being served must complete and return to you by mail.
          Giving a copy of the document, in an envelope addressed to the person being served, to an adult who lives at the same address as that person, and then mailing a second copy to the address on the same day or the next day.

In general, it's easier to make sure they get these first ones in their hand. Then . you don't have to worry about the acknowledgement and you can just have the affidavit of service completed yourself (or by your server).
          My partner paid someone to do it. I had my partner do it. Subsequent ones I just handed over to party or their lawyer. I only registered mailed an offer but that didn't require an acknowledgement.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
          Working...
          X