This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EX Recording Conversations -is it legal

Can a private conversation, be used against a person without that persons knowledge or consent ? this was not a telephone conversation being recordedfficeffice" /><O></O>
    <O> </O>
    My Ex is trying to use conversations that he has recorded, when he picked the children up for access, as evidence that he was being threatened. He had gone to my home when I was not there, when my older daughters had answered the door, he became verbally abusive, making derogatory remarks to the girls leaving them very upset and shaken . A relative and my self were there when he picked up the children, He was told by myself and the girls uncle (not in the presence of the children) did tell him that if he ever spoke to or threatened my girls again he would be very sorry. Mt Ex in turn contacted the police, and is intending to accuse the Uncle and myself with threatening his life. I found out that he has been tape recording our conversations for months without my knowledge.<O></O>
    My understanding is that any person can tape a telephone conversation, but surely another in making those conversations public knowledge. <O></O>
    Can he do this? Is this not an invasion of another’s privacy, hope some one has some input on this <O></O>

Yes, he can, whether a family law judge will consider them is an entirely separate matter. If there were threats against his life, it could very well become a criminal matter. From what you said above, the comments were ambigous and not explicit. If the police have not acted by now, that should tell you sometning, especially in the context of a family law dispute.

It probably won't go anywhere from what you described, but your experience underlines the advice that is given pervasively on this forum. Watch what you say, it could come back to hurt you.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
    Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
    Working...
    X