Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this material change?

Hello All,

Both D12 and S14 want to return to week about. There have been many little things to indicate that they want to return to week about. Things like refusing to return on mid-week visit, coming to my home instead of ex after school, text message from D12, that she wants to come live with me for 3 months...

The latest event was D12, asking my sister to call CAS on her behalf. D12 was not comfortable at the EX's home.

The SW explained that the EX is not sleeping in her bedroom because of "bugs"; she was sleeping on the floor outside the kids rooms for a long time. Now she purchased a bunk-bed and is sleeping in D12's room. Last year she left S14's library books outside in the rain and snow for over two months because she felt they were demonic.

Both D12 and S14 are afraid of the EX's reactions when they don't follow the arrangement. She is not violent. As an example; the last time they asked if they could stay a day longer, she lectured them for over 30 minutes till they gave up.

Would the fact that D12 called CAS, be considered material change? Should I file the motion to change, or continue waiting? Any other thoughts and advice?

I’m no lawyer, but the material change would be the kids wishes and their age maybe?

And the fact that the other parent seems to be having some episodes of some sort?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Is this material change?

What was the result of the call to CAS?

The children may be too young to have a say to switch custody. From what I have read and people have said here, 16 seems to be the age they get a say.

Have you tried to work with mom about issues? Have you suggest trying a new schedule on a temporary basis? Have the children been seeing any professional to discuss their feelings? Have there been any logs of issues through other organizations (ie. School attendance, medical issues etc)

I would think that first you should attempt to work with your ex on this. If there is a threat of losing cs expect this to be a battle. After you have attempted that you may have a case for a change of custody but that may be a fight. I would start with the documentation. Once they are 16 they can let their feet do the talking.

ETA: I went back and looked at your other posts because I recalled you have had other issues. At this point, after all of the other issues with your ex and her threats to move, medication and haphazard decisions, perhaps it may be best to file a motion to change custody and include all the history of the parenting time, impacts to the kids and lack of stability. I do think it may be worth an hour of a lawyers time to ask the question.
      Last edited by rockscan; 06-17-2019, 03:26 PM.

Comment

The SW from CAS closed the call. I asked for a printout. From the brief conversation the SW had with me, my EX "explained everything" and brushed it off. The other comment was that she was not 'sick' enough to investigate further.

To me, it's more that it's a record from a professional that the children needs aren't being met. I guess that's better than saying "happy".

You are correct, it will be a battle and it will be messy. In another thread HammerDad made a good point to offer mediation / arbitration before filling the motion. At the lease it shows an attempt to solve the issue without resorting to court.

Comment

This recent decision strongly considered (and ultimately decided in the favour of) the wishes of a 12 and 14 year old boys who wished to live full time with the father.

https://www.canlii.org/en/on/onsc/do...9onsc3621.html

Comment

Wow.. this is great for those boys. I know a family that had two girls the same age run away from mom, and dad got custody of them after they spoke to the judge themselves at a SC. There was lots going on at moms that the girls just couldn’t take anymore. So this just shows what age kids for a good reason really do end up having a say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Asphenaz View Post
              Would the fact that D12 called CAS, be considered material change?
              The SW from CAS closed the call.
              The CAS call probably hurts your case more than it helps it. CAS felt there were no protection issues. It makes it hard for you to argue that custody needs to be changed because there are protection issues.

Any other thoughts and advice?
              I think it is very wrong to give children the idea that they can make custody decisions. Even if they have an opinion, a child should never be put in a place where they have the opportunity to reject a parent, it is not fair to the child.

Allowing your child to make custody decisions is a failure to act as a parent.

Comment

Originally posted by Janus View Post
                I think it is very wrong to give children the idea that they can make custody decisions. Even if they have an opinion, a child should never be put in a place where they have the opportunity to reject a parent, it is not fair to the child.

Allowing your child to make custody decisions is a failure to act as a parent.
                Thanks for the advice, and I agree with you completely. I hope that's not the impression that I have given. I try my best to keep the kids out of any custody discussions. I listen to their concerns, and try to be as supportive (for them) and neutral (vs the SA).

When it comes to the Ex's erratic behavior, I do my best to listen and help.
                I've told them in the past that there are other resources they can tap for help as well. Such as kids help phone, teachers, older friends that can help them cope or blow off some steam. (The latter was mainly after my son said he wanted to commit suicide)

My argument was not the content of the CAS call but the act of calling indicates a need to change.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                Working...
                X