SS - deviation from the SSAG after earning $$ in Saudia for 3 yrs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SS - deviation from the SSAG after earning $$ in Saudia for 3 yrs

This is a very interesting decision from Alberta Court of Queen's Bench.

Husband went to Saudia Arabia after separation and made a tidy sum of money while his ex looked after the kids, putting her own career on hold.

Husband remarried with new family (judge ruled essentially it is irrelevant with regards to this SS matter).

The amount proposed for SS from the husband (in accordance to SSAG) was dismissed by judge as being inadequate due to ex-wife's role in child-care while he went overseas and made big money for 3 years.

http://www.canlii.org/en/ab/abqb/doc...17abqb134.html

There is a definitive end to SS though!

Originally posted by arabian View Post
    The amount proposed for SS from the husband (in accordance to SSAG) was dismissed by judge as being inadequate due to ex-wife's role in child-care while he went overseas and made big money for 3 years.
    To be fair, I'm less versed in the principles and legalities of SS than CS, but I was surprised that a post-separation incident was used as a basis for the determination of SS. I thought that SS was almost always based upon pre-separation values.

I like at the end how the judge admits that the husband can't really pay his order, and helpfully suggests that the husband should sell some assets to help. I know, I know, the assets were essentially saved salary from Saudi Arabia... but still.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
    Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
    Working...
    X