Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can/How do I use my pension to pay child support?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can/How do I use my pension to pay child support?

Hi there,
    I'm in the middle of a separation and I've been told that one can use their pension to pay child support. This would help me out immensely as I will be pretty much broke if I use my regular pay. I'm not trying to get out of paying support..I love my kids and will pay what I have to 100%..but if I could use my pension , even just for the first year it would help. Any advice at all would be appreciated. Thanks

If you haven't equalized yet, and your ex will get some of your pension, you just need to make sure her portion is untouched. Otherwise, your ex shouldn't care where the money comes from.

Comment

Get advice from a certified financial expert or at least from your banker. Short term financial relief by draining pension may result in serious long term financial losses that may ruin your retirement plans

Comment

Originally posted by Mason1968 View Post
        Hi there,
        I'm in the middle of a separation and I've been told that one can use their pension to pay child support. This would help me out immensely as I will be pretty much broke if I use my regular pay. I'm not trying to get out of paying support..I love my kids and will pay what I have to 100%..but if I could use my pension , even just for the first year it would help. Any advice at all would be appreciated. Thanks
        Plz don't associate paying child support with loving your kids. The system wants you to make you feel that way but don't be a chump.

Comment

Thanks for this. I just need a yes or no answer....can I use my pension ( I have CPP and a Federal govt one) to pay child support right now. I am not retired ...but I need the break. I think I can..just wondering if anyone else knows

Comment

If you aren't receiving your pension yet, how can you use it for anything? I would think the answer is no. Pensions are usually locked in until you retire.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
            Working...
            X