No announcement yet.

Interest rate on payment of arrears

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tayken: I disagree, now that I had to apply for subsidized Daycare because the ex wont pay. So the way I see it is, you the taxpayer will pay instead of the parent, that doesn't make sense to me.

I do agree that no parent should be living off child support and should be supporting themselves, but imo it makes a difference to the children. I for one would love to feed my kids a better diet, and have them participate in after school programs. And yes the $800.00 a month owed to them each month, would do that.

Or better yet, mandate the 50/50 custody/access, so each parents supports the children equally, both financially and emotionally. I for one would gladly give up any CS I may get through the courts then FRO, and let the other parent financially support the children 50% of the time. I've done the Math, I would be better off financially, if it was split.

Rockscan: I hope that by having a Dad that didnt pay support hasnt soured or hurt your relationship with him. But I feel for your Mom.

v3ktors: Sorry for hijacking your thread

Disclaimer: This is someone of a vent. I am just finding myself frustrated these days with what "I" persieve as unjust. I do appreciate all your insights. I also know that this forum is full of great parents that just want the best for their children, including myself.

Comment

We grew up with nothing and are all successful high functioning members of society making excellent incomes. We put ourselves through school and paid for things we wanted. Set the mom guilt aside. Your kids will be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by rockscan View Post
        We grew up with nothing and are all successful high functioning members of society making excellent incomes. We put ourselves through school and paid for things we wanted. Set the mom guilt aside. Your kids will be fine.
        Yes, I am racked with Mom Guilt!!!

Comment

Thanks for all the replies...and I'm glad it has generated some good discussion. Arrears in my case is around $30k. The problem is that the ongoing support (cs and ss) will likely put a strain financially on my ex. That means that the arrears won't be payable in a lump sum. If it takes 10 years to pay the arrears, the interest amount would be meaningful. My kids have never suffered as a result of the lack of cs and ss paid, but it certainly isn't fair to me to carry debt and my ex get rewarded for not paying what they should have in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by kate331 View Post
            Tayken: I disagree, now that I had to apply for subsidized Daycare because the ex wont pay. So the way I see it is, you the taxpayer will pay instead of the parent, that doesn't make sense to me.
            Your theory fails because the province of Quebec has subsidized daycare for the entire province independent of income. In addition, they have a vastly different CS calculation that results in lower than table numbers.

This is no small province and yet, it works for them. Not sure why the rest of the country is still stuck in 1982.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
            Working...
            X