Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wedding rings and engagement ring- Part of NFP

Hi, do wedding bands form part of Net Family Property

Were they purchased after you were cohabiting?

And really, are they worth enough money to make a noticable difference?

Comment

No and No.

Comment

Then No.

And no.

Don't spend all of your time listing every worthless piece of tupperware.

Comment

Can I ask why the question? Details please...

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Links17 View Post
              Does a woman's jewelry count?
              That would depend.

Was the jewelry inherited or bought from money that was inherited? Then no.

Was it acquired during the marriage? Maybe.

Personally, unless it was worth many thousands, probably not worth fighting over. And if it was a gift from one partner to another, personally I think it should be excluded.

One of my brothers, on the other hand, married a shopaholic who lived well beyond her means and purchased a lot of jewellry while he was paying the mortgage and buying the food. In that case, it should have been included and split

My ex kicked me out, but I left the wedding ring. I suppose I could have gotten a couple of hundred for the scrap value, but I didn't care.

Comment

Originally posted by oink View Post
                You forgot the chinaware and silver cuttleries
                Its amazing the inflated values people have for things. Used china can be had pretty cheap, especially if there are missing pieces.

My grandmother willed to me a lovely tea cup, with gold paint and a nice pattern. It had come to her from her parents. My daughter broke it. I went to find a replacement(not that I could replace the sentimental value) and discovered the cup, which everyone told me was worth hundreds, was worth about $30. Similarly my mother had a nice piece of Wedgewood jasperware, that she thought was worth thousands, but I've seen for $500.

Silver isn't often worth more than the scrap value unless its very clean and a pattern that is in demand.

For the most part, not worth fighting about.

Comment

My ex tried to get my engagement ring, a diamond bracelet (bought as a Vday present before marriage) and another ring (that I actually bought for myself) onto my NFP. All were bought before marriage. Once we were married, he never purchased more jewellery. I'm not really a jewellery person and never wore it anyway.

The only thing of real value was my engagement ring since it has a 3-carat, high clarity diamond in it. My lawyer had to remind him that I had it for years before marriage.

Funny enough, I was planning to give it back to him at the beginning of our divorce before he started inflating my legal bill. I don't care for diamonds due to the blood trade and would never purchase another one. At the time, I was young at not aware of the situation.

Anyway, I've gone back and forth about what to do with the thing since. It would be interesting to know what other people did with their marriage jewellery after divorce. Any suggestions?

Comment

Originally posted by blinkandimgone View Post
                    Were they purchased after you were cohabiting?

And really, are they worth enough money to make a noticable difference?
                    I would say yes to both. Most couples co-habitate before engagement, share expenses and the man purchases from their money an expensive engagement ring (eg $2,000 to $8,000).

In that case it should be split between parties. So should any jewelry or clothing as well. Just the same as any woman who puts a value to her ex husbands tools, electronics, or toy cars.

Comment

When I filed for divorce I put all the earrings, rings, necklaces my ex had given me over the years into a brown envelope and gave it to him. No way I was ever going to wear it again.

Comment

Thats nice....

Comment

Originally posted by arabian View Post
                          When I filed for divorce I put all the earrings, rings, necklaces my ex had given me over the years into a brown envelope and gave it to him. No way I was ever going to wear it again.
                          You could have sold it

Comment

Yes I could have sold it but really you don't get anywhere near the retail value when you do that. Looking at the stuff at the time bothered me. I don't regret doing that as it was one of many things I had to do to emotionally shut him out of my life. My friends thought I was crazy but for some reason it was important for me to do this. He has probably recycled it by now - given to current g/f.

Comment

Originally posted by Canadaguy View Post
                              I would say yes to both. Most couples co-habitate before engagement, share expenses and the man purchases from their money an expensive engagement ring (eg $2,000 to $8,000).

In that case it should be split between parties. So should any jewelry or clothing as well. Just the same as any woman who puts a value to her ex husbands tools, electronics, or toy cars.
                              I appreciate your sentiment that during co-habitation before marriage many regard assets as "their money" but this is not true from a legal perspective. There is no marital property if you are not married. Your bank account is your money, your partner's bank account is their money.

If you are making a purchase of an engagement ring from a joint account I think Dear Abby would find that problematic. It is supposed to be a gift from you to her.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X