This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Division of Assets and Stocks

Not sure if anyone out there can answer this one but here it goes.
    I included the current value of my personal stocks as family assets. Would it be possible to transfer half of the shares over to my Ex?
    I was going to sell half of them and give my wife the cash but wouldn't I then have to declare any profits made from the sale as part of my gross income although I didn't personally earn anything from them.

I think it would fall under Capital gains or something correct?

If you do the cash thing, be sure and account for the taxes you'd be paying as part of the equalization.

Comment

Thanks...hopefully it can be filed as capital gains.

Comment

Either way you are disposing of the shares and a capital gain/loss will be triggered for tax purposes.

Comment

I'm curious from a Parent tax planning perspective.

What are the tax implications to the parent if shares were held in trust as present future CS amounts to increment or offset taxes to future years?

Ownership of the stocks remain, but in trust with the other parent upon Release terms codified by Separation Agreement.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
          Working...
          X